what ever happend to robotnik?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
shadowspast

what ever happend to robotnik?

Post by shadowspast »

ever notice that dr.robotnik's name changed to dr.eggman?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

He changed his name because Robotnik is a registered trademark of Vandelay Industries.

shadowspast

Post by shadowspast »

ok, thanks.....robotniks better

Pennypacker

Post by Pennypacker »

Curse that Art Vandelay! He couldn't keep his short, stocky, bald business in latex where it belongs!

Koosh Koosh!

Post by Koosh Koosh! »

Segaholic is actually greatly undermining the seriousness of the legal situation at the moment. Sega Corp. and Vandelay Industries are still in a fierce court battle over the posession of the name "Robotnik", and have been since 2001. People have attributed the hiring of lawyers for this case to their ever approaching bankruptcy, but Sega of America persist regardless.

You see, because the battle has been viewed as such heated debate in Japan, Sega of Japan couldn't even bare to use the name "Robotnik", even with the permission of Vandelay Industries, and had to resort to calling the Professor Gerald Robotnik character "Robotonik" instead. It's a nasty thing, really.

ps: eggman is better nyah nyah nyah

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Do you thnk that maybe we should just be nice and actually tell him why they changed his name?

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Well nobody really knows why for sure. The best you could do is make an(/n very educated) guess.

Suffice to say that "Eggman" is the name the Japanese have always associated with the "Robotnik" character and for whatever reason, Sonic Team has decided to promote the "Eggman" name in NA and Europe, probably for the sake of continuity, but that's almost laughable given the Sonic universe as a whole.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Esrever wrote:Do you thnk that maybe we should just be nice and actually tell him why they changed his name?
Jesus shitballing Christ, is this place turning into Niceyniceville?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

We must love everyone and show respect on the internet, because relative anonymity and long distances are gifts that should not be abused.

Adam Adamant

Post by Adam Adamant »

Wow, you guys even fooled me. And I used to think I was clever.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Baba O'Reily wrote:We must love everyone and show respect on the internet, because relative anonymity and long distances are gifts that should not be abused.
Once again...

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

And I do my very best to represent that equation, thank you very much.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

A source of a source told me that his name was changed to Eggman due to the fact that he was shaped like a banana.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Hey, 2+3 does equal cats!

And don't be a bastard, Protodude. His name was changed because of the enormous egg market boom in Japan in 1998. Don't lead on honest-to-goodness curious Sonic fans with your sick jokes.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Oyyyyy!

Shadowspast, Robotnik is called Eggman because that is what his name has always been in Japan. When the original Sonic games were released in North America, they changed his name to "Robotnik," probably to give him a name that sounded a little more menacing and less silly. This kind of thing was super common back in the 8 bit and 16 bit days... since a games "story" was contained almost entirely to the instruction manual, it was easy to alter it to appeal to the sensibilities of different regions.

However, as the Sonic games have become more complex and developed a larger in-game narrative component, Sega has been less inclined to fiddle with the details. Now that there is a stricter adherence to the original stories, details like Eggman's name have begun to revert back to the intended concepts.

For a time, Sonic Team considered changing Eggman's name to Robotnik in Japan. However, Yuji Naka was reluctant to do this. "Eggman" was actually the name of his real life son, who died of leukemia at the age of four, and Naka did not wish to remove the tribute to his lost child from the Sonic continuity. It would also cause confusion surrounding ELF, the Eggman Leukemia Foundation in Japan that has used Eggman as its mascott for years.

shadowspast

Post by shadowspast »

your right, i did some reasearch of my own and in japan his name really is Dr. Eggman

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Esrever, you are my hero.

LOUD-TREE

Post by LOUD-TREE »

Esrever wrote:Oyyyyy!

Shadowspast, Robotnik is called Eggman because that is what his name has always been in Japan. When the original Sonic games were released in North America, they changed his name to "Robotnik," probably to give him a name that sounded a little more menacing and less silly. This kind of thing was super common back in the 8 bit and 16 bit days... since a games "story" was contained almost entirely to the instruction manual, it was easy to alter it to appeal to the sensibilities of different regions.

However, as the Sonic games have become more complex and developed a larger in-game narrative component, Sega has been less inclined to fiddle with the details. Now that there is a stricter adherence to the original stories, details like Eggman's name have begun to revert back to the intended concepts.

For a time, Sonic Team considered changing Eggman's name to Robotnik in Japan. However, Yuji Naka was reluctant to do this. "Eggman" was actually the name of his real life son, who died of leukemia at the age of four, and Naka did not wish to remove the tribute to his lost child from the Sonic continuity. It would also cause confusion surrounding ELF, the Eggman Leukemia Foundation in Japan that has used Eggman as its mascott for years.
... Wow.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

The last paragraph was a joke.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

It's A Trap!

LOUD-TREE

Post by LOUD-TREE »

Frieza2000 wrote:The last paragraph was a joke.
Yes, I know. It's just so freaking outlandish.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Frieza2000 wrote:The last paragraph was a joke.
No shit, thanks for ruining it.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

A better question would be whatever happened to Robot Jones.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Man, I heard Robot Jones converted to Buddhism and went on to pursue life as a Robot Monk.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I only heard he got cancelled.