Godzilla: Final Wars.....This is the end

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Ecco

Godzilla: Final Wars.....This is the end

Post by Ecco »

Not that anyone here probably really cares, but I thought I'd spread the word that Godzilla: Final Wars, which has been stated to be the last Godzilla film for a long time, is out on DVD in Japan today in a special edition 3-disk set. Keep in mind that it is Region 2 encoded and is not subtitled in English.

As for a Region 1 release, Sony has picked up the rights for it and will probably release their own DVD here before the end of the year.

Personally, I wish I didn't have to wait so long for their release. These are the times when I wish I had an all-region DVD player, spoke fluent Japanese, and had an extra $80 dollars to spend. Anyway, have a nice day everyone.
Last edited by Ecco on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

"Last Godzilla film for a long time" meaning what, a year?

Ecco

Post by Ecco »

Segaholic2 wrote:"Last Godzilla film for a long time" meaning what, a year?
No, TOHO has said that this will likely be the last film for a least a decade, probably due to the poor box office performances of the previous few films.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

This was the Godzilla movie directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, right? His works tend to be hit or miss-- He directed the cinematics in MGS: Twin Snakes, and those were cool, but Versus (the movie that made him famous), kinda sucked, and his other movie, Sky High (no relation to the American superhero movie of the same name) was enjoyable if only because 80% of the cast was cute girls.

But, whatever. It's a Godzilla movie. As long as it has people in monster suits awkwardly fighting each other, I won't be disappointed.
Last edited by Squirrelknight on Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I just want a link for that roar.

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

you know what's sad? How the American Film makers managed to take something that's bad intentionally (but good) and make it truely bad. Is there anything at all likable about Godzilla (US)?

The Scarlet Scorpion

Post by The Scarlet Scorpion »

Ah, a fellow G-Fan. That's cool. Here's hoping Sony won't cut out stuff like they did to "Godzilla 2000". Hey, I heard that they recently released the original "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" on DVD. Does it include the original, uncut Japanese version (with the obligetory subtitles)? I know that studios have been mulling releasing the darker, non-Raymond Burr take on rampaging giant monsters for some time (since the mid to late 1990s), but it would make sense to have it out now, what with DVD technology being affordable and the recent fiftieth anniversary of the film's release.

While the studios are at it, how about releasing Stateside the original versions of "Godzilla 1985" ("Gojira 1984", which, like the original, was darker and didn't have Raymond Burr in it), "Godzilla 2000" (Gojira x Orgura", which was about ten minutes longer), and "Terror of Mechagodzilla" (which featured a brief scene of a topless android). That'd be cool.

Oh, and VGJustice? The original "Gojira" was actually quite sophisticated. And if Toho actually had the budget back then, it would have used stop-motion animation, as opposed to a guy in a rubber suit, which would have [unarguably[/i] cemented the film's status as a classic science fiction movie. As it was, they still did some pretty nifty stuff.

Ecco

Post by Ecco »

Well, the uncut original hasn't yet been released here, but it is said that Classic Media will be releasing it on a two sided disk with the Raymond Burr version in October. They will also be releasing Terror of Mechagidzilla at the same time. However, all I know about ToMg is that it probably won't have the Japanese language track, just the international dub track you've been hearing for years, but no one knows yet whether this time the international version will be uncut, or the chopped up version we've been seeing for years. Alternatively, you can try to find the European VHS of the uncut international dub.

There are, unfortunatly, no plans currently for releasing either Godzilla 1984 international version (aka The Return of Godzilla) or the uncut Godzilla 2000 here yet. However, there is a DVD available in Hong Kong (region 3) with English subtitles for Godzilla 2000. As for The Return of Godzilla, you can try to track down the European VHS of the uncut international English dubbed version.

By the way, all of the Godzilla movies are available in their original form on DVD in Japan from Toho (Region 2), and the website Tokyo Monsters will show you how you can rip the movies from those DVD, subtitle them, and burn them to DVD-R. They currently have subtitle files for all of the movies you mentioned except for Terror of Mechagodzilla (Mekagojira no Gyakushu, as it is in Japan). Go to that site also to find reviews of various DVD's for the Godzilla movies if you want to know more, and http://www.yesasia.com if you want to buy either the Japanese or Hong Kong DVD's.

I hope this helped.

Oh, and look for the Japanese Godzilla to kick the American one's butt in Godzilla: Final Wars.

"Here's hoping Sony won't cut out stuff like they did to "Godzilla 2000""

I doubt they will. Toho will simply be providing them with the international verison with both the original Japanese and English dubbed tracks, like they have with most of their recent releases. I just hope that Sony choses to actually use accurate subtitles with respect to the Japanese track, instead of simply subbing the dub track, which they've done a little too much lately.

Edit: I almost forgot. There's also an Australian DVD (Region 4, PAL) currently out that contains both the uncut Japanese language version with English subtitles of the original Godzilla and the Americanized Raymond Burr version. Here's a link to it: http://www.heroic-cinema.com/review.php?ID=zilla50
You can probably also find it for sale on ebay.
Last edited by Ecco on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

The Scarlet Scorpion wrote:Oh, and VGJustice? The original "Gojira" was actually quite sophisticated. And if Toho actually had the budget back then, it would have used stop-motion animation, as opposed to a guy in a rubber suit, which would have [unarguably[/i] cemented the film's status as a classic science fiction movie. As it was, they still did some pretty nifty stuff.
Not the one I'm talking about. I know the original Gojira was actually pretty good, but the one I'M refering to is the "original" American movie done not all that long ago.

Do you remember the add sloagan "Size DOES matter!" ? THAT horrid piece of tripe.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

VGJustice is talking Matthew Broderick Godzilla, right?

Ecco

Post by Ecco »

Baba O'Reily wrote:VGJustice is talking Matthew Broderick Godzilla, right?
Yeah, that's the one. I remember going to see it back on opening weekend in 1998. I don't think I was ever more excited about any movie upon walking into the theater, and never walked out more disappointed. I can't even stand to watch it anymore nowadays. I can get through the first 35 minutes fine, but once the line "We, uh, lost sight of it sir" is uttered, it just completely loses me. The makers, Devlin and Emmerich, literally took everything that was fun and enjoyable about the old movies and through it out the window saying it sucked, and did something completely different that they claimed it was superior. Funny how two people who make a living out of ripping off other classic films thought they could do better than the likes of legendary filmmakers Tomoyuki Tanaka, Ishiro Honda, Eiji Tsuburaya, and Akira Ifukube.
Last edited by Ecco on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

Ecco's got it. There is exactly one good line in the WHOLE movie:

"It's Gojira, not Godzilla, you <can't remember what, but it was violent>"

The Scarlet Scorpion

Ecco: Thanks for the info. I never knew there were uncut English versions of "Gojira", "Mekagojira no Gyakushu", and "Gojira 1984" (well, now that I think about it, I vaguely remember hearing about the European version of the first of those three, but it's been so long I'd completely forgoten about it). I'll be sure to look out for those DVDs, and check out those websites, too. That said, I have to ask you a question about those video tapes: do you know of a place where I can find a VCR that can play both PAL and NTSC videos? DVDs I can handle; regionless DVD players can be found all over that place (I need to get a job... Peter Paine wants to eat my wallet...), but obsolescent machines like VCRs are nowhere to be found (truth be told, I've wanted one such tape player for some years now... I can't exactly remember why, though). Could you point me to someone, please?

Also, I remember you (or was it Pepperidge) brought up the crossover aspects of "Final Wars"' plot a few month back in another thread. It's okay, though, I don't mind.

VGJustice: Oh, sorry. My bad. It's just that when I think of the "original" American Godzilla, I tend to think of the 1970s Hanna Barbara cartoon show, with Ted Kassidy (Lurch on the 1960s "Adams Family" T.V. series) providing Godzilla's roars, and veteran voice actor Don Messick growling and bleating as Godzilla's nephew, Godzooky. I'm not making this up.

Oh, and I remember that tag line, too. After all, that statement could be proven true by any stablehand you ask, couldn't it?

Ecco

Post by Ecco »

The Scarlet Scorpion wrote:Ecco: Thanks for the info. I never knew there were uncut English versions of "Gojira", "Mekagojira no Gyakushu", and "Gojira 1984" (well, now that I think about it, I vaguely remember hearing about the European version of the first of those three, but it's been so long I'd completely forgoten about it). I'll be sure to look out for those DVDs, and check out those websites, too. That said, I have to ask you a question about those video tapes: do you know of a place where I can find a VCR that can play both PAL and NTSC videos? DVDs I can handle; regionless DVD players can be found all over that place (I need to get a job... Peter Paine wants to eat my wallet...), but obsolescent machines like VCRs are nowhere to be found (truth be told, I've wanted one such tape player for some years now... I can't exactly remember why, though). Could you point me to someone, please?
Well, I believe you misheard me on one account. As far as I know, there is no English dubbed version of the original uncut Gojira from 1954 in existence, just the uncut version in Japanese. The American version is heavily editted and stars the late Raymond Burr as a reporter named Steve Martin [!!!]. The latter two you just said, though do have English dubbed versions of their original cuts, with the only difference between them and the Japanese versions being the dubbed dialogue and English text credits. As far as finding a VCR that can play both PAL and NTSC tapes, you're on your own. The only thing I can suggest is to just get two VCR's, one for PAL and one for NTSC. Again, Amazon or ebay are good sources for these, but you can probably find a PAL VCR at any online European or Australian online electronics distributor. I should also mention that the tapes of the uncut international dubbed versions of The Return of Godzilla (1984) and 1975's Mekagojira no Gyakushu (AKA: Mechagodzilla Raids Again, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Mechagodzilla's Revenge, or Mechagodzilla's Counterattack) are actually out of print, though they were released in 1998, and if you look hard enough, you should be able to find them.

As a matter of fact, the dubbed version of The Return of Godzilla can be found right here, though I'm not sure if this is actually an available copy. It says that the item has been deleted in the U.K.

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7000000048383

I haven't really checked this sight out much, but you might also be able to find the VCR you are looking for. I hope this helped.

edit: Oh, and here is Terror of Mechagodzilla:

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7000000048127

another edit: By the way, do PAL tapes play faster than NTSC tapes? Because I own the uncut Japanese language version of The Return of Godzilla on an NTSC DVD, and it lists the running time at 103 minutes, but this site lists the running time at 99 minutes, even though they seem to be the same cut of the film but with different language tracks.
Last edited by Ecco on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I like the 1998 Godzilla better then the old-skool Japanese Godzilla. He was a lot cooler looking.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Most Japanese-US conversions are naff. I much prefer watching The Seven Samurai to the Magnificent Seven, even if the former is only understandable through english subtitles.

The T

Post by The T »

Omni Hunter wrote:Most Japanese-US conversions are naff.
See also: Power Rangers.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

We got the better theme.
We had this guy play our theme song.

The Scarlet Scorpion

Thanks, Ecco, you've helped a lot. I'll check those sites out A.S.A.P. :grin:

And Baba, did that guy really do the "Power Rangers" theme? If so, that is awesome.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Yeah. He even won a Grammy for it. He's currently working with Les Claypool and was slated to work with the new Guns N' Roses. But then he got pissed off at Axl. Oh well.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Buckethead OWNS. I love his sexy guitar too.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Indeed. He's magnificent, but terribly underrated.

Ecco

Post by Ecco »

chriscaffee wrote:I like the 1998 Godzilla better then the old-skool Japanese Godzilla. He was a lot cooler looking.
Grab you torches and pitchforks everyone! We must burn this person at the stake!

Nova

Post by Nova »

Ecco wrote:
chriscaffee wrote:I like the 1998 Godzilla better then the old-skool Japanese Godzilla. He was a lot cooler looking.
Grab you torches and pitchforks everyone! We must burn this person at the stake!
Well, if you turned the audio off, the movie was ok.

what a 3D movie of godzilla would look like?. I mean a 20 minutes thing of Godzila vs Gamera in a city. The monsters and the city are in 3D but the scared people thats gets crushed or eaten is real...

mmmm....is a really bad idea...

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I don't think Godzilla has ever eaten anyone, but I might be wrong.