Sonic X Card Game

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dunjohn

Sonic X Card Game

Post by Dunjohn »

Anybody know anything about this? http://www.sonicxtradingcards.com/index.cfm

'Cuz I only heard about it today. I'm a big card game fan so, while I already assume it's crap, it'd be funky to get a pack or two and try it out.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I knew. It's been known for months now. I haven't seen it anywhere where I went, but frankly, I don't really care about buying them...even if I like cards.
~neo

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

These are pretty bad. But they're not as bad as those old Topps cards were.

R U UP 2 IT

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I think the "R U UP 2 IT" was actually from the print ads running at the time. I'm pretty sure I remember having a poster of the cover art with that line on it...

This isn't even a card game, is it? It looks like just plain trading cards (bad ones at that). I wasn't aware they still made such things.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Yeah, it's not actually a card game.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I've got that R U UP 2 IT poster as well. I only mention it in the context of the cards because the phrase appeared on at least a quarter of them.

I swear to god, that was the worst trading card set ever. The first half were just printed screenshots from Sonic 1 and 2 (with poorly drawn cartoon Sonics inserted) and the second half were collages of mish mash Sonic 2 stock art. Apparently there weren't enough stockart drawings, but fortunately, they found a way to reuse the same drawings on multiple cards by pairing them seperately with different marketing catchphrases such as "R U UP 2 IT" (which didn't make a lot of sense outside the context of a game advertisement) and "DUDE WITH A 'TUDE." The stockart cards were actually peelable stickers, although why you'd WANT to stick a tiny rectangle of slapped together clipart to something is beyond me.

Why do I have the entire set of these things? What was wrong with me!

Grant

Post by Grant »

Esrever wrote:Why do I have the entire set of these things? What was wrong with me!
Ditto. Big time.

Looshi

Post by Looshi »

The cards you linked to are the trading set, but there is an actual game being released Augest 17th. Sadly (yet predictably), it looks like crap.
Players Enter a Fast-Paced Game to be the First to Gain 3 Chaos Emeralds.During a game, players play cards face-down and then alternate flipping them over. When cards flip over, they release a host of fun effects. After all cards are face-up, players count the rings on all their cards. The player with the most rings wins the Chaos emerald for the turn! Play a Game With Just Three Boosters. Sonic X TCG takes only 3 boosters to play. With three boosters, new players can instantly experience the fast-paced fun and possibilities the game unlocks. Booster Draft Friendly.Drafting is growing in casual gaming circles. The simple rules,and fast-paced action make booster drafting with Sonic easy for new and experienced players alike. Players can participate in a draft event for under $9.00. Designed for Optimal Player Interaction.No "down time" exists in the turn structure. Every player acts in every step.

Sonic X requires no starter decks to play.
It was also listed as being "8-year old friendly", so we're looking at the Pokemon/4kids crowd.

If that doesn't scare you away, this link has some more info (http://www.ss.byethost.com/tcg/card.php).

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Dunno if it's good for me or bad, but this is the sorta thing that hasn't a chance of making it to my shores. Now that I've seen details, it does look unredeemably uninteresting. They say you actually don't need a deck to play... that's a big warning bell.

Cheers!

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

oh shits.

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

So, let me see if I've got this right: They're making a set of trading cards aimed at the "I'm too young to know better" crowd, and they're making a card game aimed at the "I spend all my time and money on card games" crowd, and you people are shocked by this?

I think I was more shocked by the unveiling of the Initial D card game. Like this, I have no idea wether or not either game is actually good, but it's the concept that has me slightly baffled. The only reason they make the product is to make money. That much is obvious. Thus, because it's so obvious, the vast majority avoids the product. But, that would mean that it's not profitable. Which means they're losing money on it, so they discontinue the product. Granted, a handful of things like this are successful, but never because of the name attacked to it. Why do these people keep doing the same stupid things over and over again? That's what's got me.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

You people have full sets? I've never even heard of them.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I had a couple of packs, but it's been almost 10 years since I've seem them.

Looshi

Post by Looshi »

The bigger question, is that a company is cashing in on the Sonic license and we're acting surprised.

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

If it was Sonic rather than Sonic X it may just have shown signs of promise.
A card collection/game with classic Sonic enemies would have appealed to me

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I think the card game actually sounds sort of interesting. I don't play any CCGs unless conned into it by my friends who do, but I like that they would come up with one that, from the sound of it, is faster and maybe even somewhat "chain reaction"-based, sort of like the card games in FF8 and FF9, rather than the "summon monster" sorts (Magic, Yugioh, Pokemon) that tend to be the most successful. There are probably other faster games like that that I'm not aware of, but I don't care enough to find out, really.

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

Anytime I'm feeling nerdy, I know I can come here and consider what I might have become. :)