Got room for a review section?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Professor Machenstein

Got room for a review section?

Post by Professor Machenstein »

I've always viewed this site as a place where Sonic fans express their opinions about Sonic games and whatnot, so I was wondering what you all would think of a review section. I used to have a great disliking for this very place because I felt it was too cynical. But lately you all have enlightened me with your words of criticism, and for that I find this idea can come quite beneficial for such an opinionated community, yes. It doesn't have to be a main section on the site too. It could be a sticky right here on this forum. I would like to read your thoughts on certain titles and cautions of whatever flaws my come during gameplay. It might be a good idea, but what do you think? Could it work?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

I never thought reviews were of much importance.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I give this idea a 4.75822 out of 11^3/4.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Well, I'm sure people here are capable of making reviews without chalking it down to letter and number grades. I'd like to make reviews, but I'm not particularly witty, and if my review isn't directed towards speficially to someone, then I can't seem to wholeheartedly put my feelings down into a review of the medium in question. GG! doesn't seem to have a problem with this, though, so I always enjoy the reviews he has to offer, whether or not I like the game in question. I can't seem to write a competent review for a general audience; my reviews generally lack wit, with very straightfoward descriptions and lack of metaphors or other means of conveying and describing ideas in a way that makes it appealing to read.

Grant

Post by Grant »

In fact, even reading that paragraph was trying.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

What they do over at <a href="www.gamiko.co.uk/">Gamiko</a> (when Rob remembers to be bothered!) is whenever someone posts some real hands-on impressions or makes something that resembles a review, a moderator takes that message and make it a new locked thread out of it in the reviews section (which cannot be posted to directly). Instead of a massive sticky (enjoy that mental image), this way you have a real list of reviews that can be sorted alphabetically for easy viewing, and if someone makes an alternative impression or otherwise worthy discussion on the game, it can be added to the "review" at a later time.

On the other hand, we don't seem to go in-depth much in our posts around here and GG!'s already started archiving his <a href="http://www.projectdrift.net/articles/index.shtml">posts that aren't about boobies</a>, so I don't think there's much need for it, and nobody wants some whiner going around "why haven't you added my review? Also give me my own title!"

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Titles are for sissies who need attention.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

People who want titles without earning them just want to be noticed without putting in effort into their posts. Pretty whack, in a bad sense, if you ask me.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Hey, I earned my title. You don't know how much cock I had to suck to get to where I am now.

Anyway, I don't think we really need a dedicated reviews thread or section or anything-- If one of us has an opinion on something, we usually just state it during the course of another topic. And we definetly don't need to bring a grading-scale into things.

By the way, the idea of having a reviews thread gets a 3.2 out of a possible letter S from me.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

G.Silver wrote: On the other hand, we don't seem to go in-depth much in our posts around here and GG!'s already started archiving his <a href="http://www.projectdrift.net/articles/index.shtml">posts that aren't about boobies</a>
Wait, when did that happen?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Okay, I've had a good look around what exists of Project Drift, and I feel like I've uncovered a part of Gibbon that was forever hidden to me before. It's been a very touching experience.

I have to say, though, Gib: your writing is much stronger than your art. I've always liked your extreme doodles, but for me, you've always been the best wordsmith on the internet.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Gibbon's a regular renaissance man.
I hope I spelled that correctly.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Dictionary.com says yes!

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I agree with Pop. It was like stepping into some bizarre alternate universe, and upon leaving I felt more in love with Gibbs' and his work than ever before. I'm not even remotely joking.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Poison Eggroll wrote:Well, I'm sure people here are capable of making reviews without chalking it down to letter and number grades. I'd like to make reviews, but I'm not particularly witty, and if my review isn't directed towards speficially to someone, then I can't seem to wholeheartedly put my feelings down into a review of the medium in question. GG! doesn't seem to have a problem with this, though, so I always enjoy the reviews he has to offer, whether or not I like the game in question. I can't seem to write a competent review for a general audience; my reviews generally lack wit, with very straightfoward descriptions and lack of metaphors or other means of conveying and describing ideas in a way that makes it appealing to read.
Besides, most reviews around here would basicaly be simplified buy typing "It's sucks.", or "It's crap.", or "If you buy that, you're a complete idiot.".

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I have to say Gibbs, that the Christmas Story made me cry like never before and that's not easy to do, good show.

Seymour

Post by Seymour »

Baba O'Reily wrote:Titles are for sissies who need attention.
I read that as Titties.

Grant

Post by Grant »

You live in a twisted household, Ghettochip.

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

Seymour wrote:
Baba O'Reily wrote:Titles are for sissies who need attention.
I read that as Titties.
If I were ever to get titties, that would probably be the reason.