Shelved games?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Oh yeah, I also remembered I never beat the last boss of Rez in level 5. I only got to his final form once and died, and haven't bothered to beat it. I'd probably try to play the game again, but I seemed to have missplaced and lost the game CD...

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

If a boss is too tough, then it's frustrating-- and as a general rule, frustration sucks.
But what's causing the frustration? Is the boss cheap, or just difficult? If the boss is cheap or poorly designed, then yeah, there's reason to be frustrated. But if it's just difficult and the player quits, it's his fault, not the game's.
I don't hate RPGs by default, but I think they have a lot of innate flaws as a genre and as a result most of them suffer.
You see, that's the ignorant attitude I'm trying to nail. Most RPG's do suck. And so do most fighters. And most platformers. In fact, most games suck, period. But to say that the concept of videogames is "innately flawed" is the most profoundly ignorant assumption one can make, though it happens quite often among pompous, bigoted, pseudo-sophisticated "art" types. Your attitude here is the exact same thing.
Despite your evident patience mere mortals can only aspire to, it's not nonsensical or irrational to expect a game to be accessible.
Accessibility is directly related to complexity. It is irrational to expect a complicated game to sacrifice its own identity to become simpler. You're asking for a whole different fucking game.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

You say you're a relatavist, but you're telling me that it is an objective absolute that Suikoden is not poorly-designed.

I tend to lose interest when you start insulting your combatants personally.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

You say you're a relatavist, but you're telling me that it is an objective absolute that Suikoden is not poorly-designed.
I'm saying you haven't played enough to judge one way or the other. You can hate a game because you don't like the way it does what it's trying to do, but to hate a game because you can't bring yourself to accept it on its own terms is irrational. All this whining about menus and some magical vision of a "perfectly immersive experience" is like if I sat around griping about how much Virtua Fighter sucks because I think it should only use two buttons, or how much Ico sucks because I can't blow those shadow creatures down with a machine gun.
I tend to lose interest when you start insulting your combatants personally.
Deal with it, cheese-fucker. Now get your dick out of that swiss and argue with me like a man.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

So what's your reason for me not liking Suikoden? Your educated judgement?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So what's your reason for me not liking Suikoden? Your educated judgement?
You're a fucktard.

Seriously, though, if you can't be bothered to flip through some menus and learn the difference between an Herb and a Tonic, you'll never be able to get into the game enough to appreciate it.

Though you are a fucktard.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

I was wrong in my long standing opposition to a new forum... these arguments are just that much better with avatars.

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

Responding to the original direction of this thread. . .

I don't remember each and every videogame I've ever owned an played, due to my memory being as reliable as a boat with a hole in the bottom of it, but I do know there was one game I owned that will always be one of my favorites, and I'll never be able to beat without cheating, and that's Dynamite Headdy.

Other games I don't think I'll ever have a hope of beating are the first two Zelda game (though I came close.) I also haven't beaten Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando yet, but that's because I don't feel like getting all the other weapons so I don't run out of ammo fighting the final boss. Also, I haven't beaten Golden Sun 2 either, because I can't be bothered with it.

(And, um, would it be a bad idea to mention I've actually beaten MegaMan Network Transmission?)

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

(And, um, would it be a bad idea to mention I've actually beaten MegaMan Network Transmission?)
Damn! How did you beat the first boss? ;)

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

Esrever wrote:
Damn! How did you beat the first boss? ;)
Very carefully. :razz:

In actuality, Transmission isn't as hard as FireMan and GutsMan would make you think. They're just pains in the ass to beat because MegaMan is so incredibly weak at the start of the game that it doesn't take a whole lot to do him in. Once you get past GutsMan and new stages are opened up (each one filled with more items that can be used to power up MegaMan so he doesn't suck anymore) the difficulty level goes down at an increasing rate.

Another shelved game for me that I forgot to mention is Vectorman 2. I never could get past the swamp boss. . .

daytonafathead
Douche Bag
Douche Bag

Post by daytonafathead »

Sad, embarrasing confession...I could never beat the "Blue Sphere" special stages from S3&K! There, I said it! :oops: :shock:

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I couldn't, either, when I first played it. As I recall, though, I gave up pretty quickly and took full advantage of my Game Genie (which made for an impressive tower of cartridges with S3&K) so that I would get the emerald after nabbing the first sphere. Then I went back years later and couldn't believe how easy--and fun, really--it was to just do it the normal way.

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

I hated, let me say that again, HATED the whole concept of the special stages from both sonic advance games. Sonic advance 1 was unimaginative and almost impossible to judge where the rings are. Trying to get to the stages in sonic advance 2 was impossible (for me at least), so I gave up trying. Oh for the days when 50 rings and a star post was all it took; it's challenging to get enough rings and find a post, but you knew you could do it. And when you got into the stages, they were fun and not so heinously pointlessly hard that you ended up hurling your GBA into a nearby blast furnace.

Ugh. End of rant. If there is anyone who has lived to see super sonic on SADV 2 I will be unsure whether to shake you by the hand or by the throat.

aso

Post by aso »

Timestones wrote:I don't remember each and every videogame I've ever owned an played, due to my memory being as reliable as a boat with a hole in the bottom of it, but I do know there was one game I owned that will always be one of my favorites, and I'll never be able to beat without cheating, and that's Dynamite Headdy.
You have my pity. I think the very furthest I got on DH was Stair Wars or the rotating boss somewhere past that level.
Another shelved game for me that I forgot to mention is Vectorman 2. I never could get past the swamp boss. . .
All of the bosses in Vectorman 2 were pretty easy. Which one was the Swamp boss, again?

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I remember using the stage select code in Dynamite Headdy to skip right to the final stage and still using up all my lives and continues trying to beat the Dark Demon. Still, it was and is one of my favorite games ever.

(Now years later, I've played and beaten it many times over on an emulator. Savestates are a blessing here.)

aso

Post by aso »

Oh yeah, I've done the same. Have you played the Twin Freaks boss? That boss makes cheating almost mandatory, it's so damned hard.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

A small note - GBA games are more addictive than cigarettes. I may have left the cancer tubes alone for over 2 years now, but the icy grip of Pokemon Sapphire brought me back last night. All the new trainers...the new areas I'd missed....the berries....levelling up for the Elite 4...

...so cold....

Anon

Post by Anon »

Cool Spot: Beat the game easy enough on normal mode, so I switched to hard.

Got completely own3d on the first stage.

I somehow managed to beat that the second time around, only to die on the second stage. And I can only view the ending without using continues? Bugger that.

Yuu Yuu Hakusho Gaiden: Got stuck at this tower place, and I can't turn back. Seeing as there are no faqs for this game, and it's in all Japanese, I doubt that I'll ever get past that part...

Titan

Post by Titan »

Otogi is ridiculously frustrating, I doubt I'll ever complete it.

Dache

Post by Dache »

Ninja Gaiden. Fuck that game. And KOTOR. Too complicated and annoying to bother with.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Ninja Gaiden is easy. Each enemy has a certain strategy to beat, as long as you use that strategy you are good to go. KOTOR is pretty easy, but the first like 5 or so hours is a bitch. That game has the steepest learning curve of any game I have ever played. It gets good once you get your jedi powers though.

Dache

Post by Dache »

Light Speed wrote:Ninja Gaiden is easy...
LIES

Sonniku The Battousai
Douche Bag
Douche Bag

Post by Sonniku The Battousai »

1. Kingdom Hearts: Yeah I loved the game and it was first PS2 Game but after finding out the ending and getting hooked to Zelda, I stopped playing. But I'm gonna try to at least beat it.

2. Viewtiful Joe: That shit is hard, but I'm happy to say that I got to the second to last stage...that's when I gave up

3. Maximo: Too friggin hard and it costs money to save...pfff, whatever. :mad:

4: SA2 Battle: I tried so many times to get the Green Hill zone but ultimately I gave it up to my little bro...and even he doesn't play that anymore :lol:

5: Sonic Heroes: `Nuff said.

6: TMNT: Beat it with Leo so that's enough, but unless you have a competent partner at your side, you're good as dead. That's why I'm hyped for TMNT2; 4 player action!!

7:WWE Smackdown! Shut Your Mouth: What's the point - I keep winning and I always become WWE Champ...I'll never be Grand Slam like HBK :cry:

8: Sonic Advance 2: Can't get the damn emeralds!!!

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

You're new to this gaming thing, eh?

Sonniku The Battousai
Douche Bag
Douche Bag

Post by Sonniku The Battousai »

Segaholic2 wrote:You're new to this gaming thing, eh?
DAMN!! WHAT IS WITH EVERYONE AND THE HATE? If it's not this guy bashing me, it's someone else? The topic is games I don't play anymore, and that's the ones I don't play anymore -VJ is hard, TMNT is hard, Maximo is confusing, KH is too long for me (short-attention span), Smackdown is too easy, yet complicated; and the Sonic Games really got no replay value anymore..plus I haven't reached the Shin Sonic stage yet! DAMN WHY IS EVERYONE ON THIS FRIKKIN BOARD AGAINST ME?! :evil: