Shocking Revelations

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Esrever
Drano Master

Shocking Revelations

Post by Esrever »

So a few weeks ago, I was listening to the Jet Set Radio OST. I've easily listened to this album hundreds of times. I know it by heart. But then song "Everybody Jump Around" came on, and I'm singing along in my head. The music starts. The sample of the guy counting down comes in for the first time. "One," he says. "Two."

And then it hits me. It's Paul McCartney. It's totally Paul McCartney's countdown from the beginning of "I Saw Her Standing There"! Right there, on one of my favourite game soundtracks ever is a clip one of my favourite Beatles songs, and I never noticed until that precise moment!

It's always weird to realize something new, something that should have been obvious to you, about something that you thought you knew like the back of your hand. I'm sure we all have these moments sometimes. I'm reminded, for example, of when G. Silver found out that the different-coloured lampost stars in S3&K indicated which bonus stage they led to.

Anyone else have a shocking revelation like that?

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Only when Laura revealed to be Lineu's murderer.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I was shocked when Dr. Wily actually happened to be the one pulling the strings behind Dr. Cossack.

I was shocked that Dr. Wily was behind evil Blues.

I was shocked how X turned out to be Dr. Wily in disguise.

As for shocks relating to music similarities... well, it wasn't really a shock, but I was surprised when I was playing Tails Adventures. What ended up happening was, I was playing Tails Adventures, and I went to Tails' House. I was listening the the background music of Tails' House, and I was like "I know that tune from another videogame..."

It was itching the back of my head for a while, but during the course of the game, I remembered the NES game Rockin' Kats that I used to rent a lot; Tails' House theme is exactly the same as the Rockin' Kats level select theme.

minnietguinea

Post by minnietguinea »

About music, yeah.
I just found out today that during the break of the song "Free Day," the half time part is not in 6/2, but alternates between 5/2 and 6/2 every measure. The marimba loop is in a fast 4/4, the break cuts to half time alternating between 5 and 6. I was surprised I didn't notice it months ago, when I first got the Altered State CD.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clips ... 37-7890347
The break starts around 17 seconds into the sample.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I remembered the NES game Rockin' Kats that I used to rent a lot; Tails' House theme is exactly the same as the Rockin' Kats level select theme.
You mean the password screen BGM? No it isn't, they don't sound a thing alike.

I was pretty shaken when I realized that there were two versions of Meleon in the Green Hill Zone.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

No, not the password screen BGM, I'm talkin' about the level select. Rockin' Kats allows you to go to any level in any order you want; each level is represented as a tv channel. I'm talking about the music that plays while you choose a channel (level).

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

No way dude, there's like, two notes that are the same.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

OK, but what about that Janet Jackson song that sounds exactly like the Bridge Zone theme from the GG Sonic 1? I wish I could remember the name of the song.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

• The stage select music from Rockman sounds like a slower version of the opening to "Runaway" by Bon Jovi.

"All the Right Friends" by R.E.M. sounds just like the music in Elecman's stage in Rockman.

The music in Neon Tiger's stage in Rockman X3 sounds just like "My Michelle" by Guns N' Roses.

The opening to the music in Burnerman's stage in Rockman & Forte sounds just like "Good Enough" by Cyndi Lauper.
These things are uncanny.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

Well, the first six notes in Britney Spears' <i>Crazy</i> sounds like the first six notes of the Mario 1 underground theme.

Also, as Kishi said about Elec Man's song, MMHP.net has a sample mp3 of the song Elec Man's theme sounds similar to. <a href="http://www.mmhp.net/Appear/REM.html">ht ... EM.html</a>
Last edited by Cuckooguy on Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

The sub-boss music from Sonic and Knuckles sounds very much like the James Bond Theme.
Human Leagues "Darkness" sounds very much like one of the battle musics in Ranma 1/2.

The Scarlet Scorpion

Post by The Scarlet Scorpion »

Nothing really major, it's just that I noticed only recently, for the first time, that there are women going "ooooohhhhh-aaaaahhhhhh" in the "Version 1977" arangement for the "Lupin III" theme. I also have noted that the theme to "Robot Chicken" sounds eerily like "The Worms Crawl In, The Worms Crawl Out". Nothing Earthshaking, unfortunately.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Shocking: The baseline in Hill Top Zone sounds almost exactly like the Underworld music from the Mario series:
http://cinos.gunsha.com/hilltopbass.mp3

Not shocking: "Mr.Unsmiley ...For Sky Rail" from Sonic Adventure 2 sounds similar to the Trigun theme.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Esrever wrote:OK, but what about that Janet Jackson song that sounds exactly like the Bridge Zone theme from the GG Sonic 1? I wish I could remember the name of the song.
You mean the nutty Professor one? "Everywhere I go, Every smile I see. blah blah..." yeah, now that you mention it I suppose.

Any of you guys jewish? Are they playing that remix of Boy Meets Girl's "Waiting For A Star To Fall" in the States? 'Cuz they're playing it like mad here, and over the slightly fuzzy radio speakers at work the repeating bit sounds like "Trying to skip your Bar Mitzvah, trying to skip..."

Not shocking. Just really annoying.

Also Girls Aloud's "Love Machine" blatently rips off the first level music in Sonic Adventure 2.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Is it just me or does the first bar or so of Mystic Cave sound like a pirate jingle? Not shocking but intruiging. Also, Knuckles space level in Sonic adventure 2 reminds me of Jameraquai's Cosmic Girl.
To add another the Flying Battery music sounds reminiscent to Larcens theme music in Eternal Champions.

DarkPrime

Re: Shocking Revelations

Post by DarkPrime »

Esrever wrote:So a few weeks ago, I was listening to the Jet Set Radio OST. I've easily listened to this album hundreds of times. I know it by heart. But then song "Everybody Jump Around" came on, and I'm singing along in my head. The music starts. The sample of the guy counting down comes in for the first time. "One," he says. "Two."

And then it hits me. It's Paul McCartney. It's totally Paul McCartney's countdown from the beginning of "I Saw Her Standing There"! Right there, on one of my favourite game soundtracks ever is a clip one of my favourite Beatles songs, and I never noticed until that precise moment!
Is this the Japanese soundtrack? I only have the American one filled with crappy "rock" and such that came with the game during the US release.

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

Aside from a few added "rock" tracks, I wasn't ware there was any changes to the music in Jet Set Radio.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

The addition of Jurassic 5 to JSR was out of place, but good. They're about the only rap I can stand.

DarkPrime

Post by DarkPrime »

I found my CD. It's the "Jet Grind Radio Music Sampler". It features:

Rob Zombie
Jurassic 5
Mix Master Mike
Cold
Professional Murder Music
Shuvel
Lefty

I got the CD free when I bought Jet Grind Radio.

So, any suggestions as to where I can download the OST?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

Oh yeah, I also remember that Terra's theme from FFVI reminded me of that old tune associated with a lot of Western/Cowboy movies. I really don't know how to describe the tune, because it's a universally known tune, yet I've never watched a single cowboy-themed movie in my life. The best way I can describe the tune is to imagine a scene where a cowboy and an outlaw are having a duel with guns, and they have to pace away eachother before they draw and shoot, while those spikey thorn bushes fly by. I think that's the most common time the tune I'm referring to plays, while everything is tense and all.

Just imagine Terra's theme with two of the notes omitted and played with a harmonica.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Who are those Shuvel and Lefty people and what did they have on the JGR soundtrack?

DarkPrime

Post by DarkPrime »

Double-S- wrote:Who are those Shuvel and Lefty people and what did they have on the JGR soundtrack?
They didn't have any songs in the game. I think they were just on the soundtrack as part of an agreement by the record company to get their music "out there".

The songs that they played on the CD were:

Shuvel: Set It Off and Hit List
Lefty: Girls

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

Poison Eggroll wrote:Oh yeah, I also remember that Terra's theme from FFVI reminded me of that old tune associated with a lot of Western/Cowboy movies. I really don't know how to describe the tune, because it's a universally known tune, yet I've never watched a single cowboy-themed movie in my life. The best way I can describe the tune is to imagine a scene where a cowboy and an outlaw are having a duel with guns, and they have to pace away eachother before they draw and shoot, while those spikey thorn bushes fly by. I think that's the most common time the tune I'm referring to plays, while everything is tense and all.

Just imagine Terra's theme with two of the notes omitted and played with a harmonica.
Which brings to mind <i>Wild ARMs'</i> "Into The Wilderness" (Overworld music) and its similarity to the tune played during <i>The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly</i>, i.e. The Stranger's theme. Which is not surpring given the theme of the series and the developer's fascination with westerns.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Isn't Stranger's Theme the one that's like *ooooeeeooeeoooooooo wah WAH wah*?

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

j-man wrote:Isn't Stranger's Theme the one that's like *ooooeeeooeeoooooooo wah WAH wah*?
You managed to capture the sound of that song quite well. Good job.

Man, I wish the oooeeeooooeeeoooo wah WAH wah song played everytime I whipped out my penis. It would be awesome.