Funny how it's called "Till the End of Time"...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Funny how it's called "Till the End of Time"...

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

How you ever smashed a video game / video game system into frustration? Because I did with my Star Ocean 3 game. I hit it so hard while it was still in the PS2 that it actually made the game <i>unreadable</i> on the system. The PS2 itself, though, is fine.

Would you say simple cleaning would help fix it, or am I screwed? I don't want to pay money for a game I don't even like, but I actually want to finish the damn thing.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Are you sure the system still works? Does it read other games?

If I were you, though, I'd consider it a sign from God. Star Ocean 3 is a lie and a farce, there's nothing worth finishing it for.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I'm pretty sure you're screwed. Don't worry, I'm sure the ending isn't that great anyway.

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

I agree with Gibbon, I mean the giant plot twist alone makes it unfinishable...go get Star Ocean 2 instead and compare the two...

Or just buy another game. You can get it pretty cheap now at the gaming stores...

And also for the record, I never finished the game because my brother lost my second memory card with my Star Ocean 3 save...

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Star Ocean 2? That game looks worse than 3!

...Although I've never actually played it, so I can't really say for sure.

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

Can't always judge a game by it's...Sega Saturnish looks...but the battle system actually makes it fun to get into battles (Like how fun CT was)...and the story was eh...okay but it's one of those cult hits. Either you'll like it or you don't but it's a better buy than Star Ocean 3...

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Are you sure the system still works? Does it read other games?

If I were you, though, I'd consider it a sign from God. Star Ocean 3 is a lie and a farce, there's nothing worth finishing it for.
Fortunately, the system still reads other games. It's just Star Ocean 3 that got hurt.

And what a scratch it left.

Like you, Green Gibbon!, about the only thing I liked about Star Ocean 3 was the graphics and the music. The plot was lame, the characters are stereotypes, the dungeons are horrid and poorly designed, and the battle system is the worst ever. I could never see where I was in dungeons, especially when it came to those rocks, and even trudging through towns was a chore. Save points were also too infrequent for my taste, and you could never save in dungeons until the dead end. More than once I had to manually leave a dungeon just to save. *twitches eye*

The only reason I wanted to finish disc 1 was because Sophia, supposedly, is playable in disc 2, which in itself is a bunch of shit. Enix plastered her all over the official art in previews for the game in Japan, and she doesn't even become playable until 80% in.

In case you were wondering where I got to the point of breaking the disc, it was in the Barr Ruins with that dragon flute crap. I would have destroyed the disc myself at that point had not my banging the PS2 already done the work for me. I almost snapped during that turlte kart event, too.

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

LOL

Took me about 3 hours to get the button presses right for the darn flute so I feel your pain...sort of sad how that was harder than Crosell himself...

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Did you ever do that part of the dungeon where you had to play three tunes to open a room with chests inside? Took me at least 10 battles to figure that out.

I didn't even get how to play the playful tune until at least an hour of playing the flute.

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

Ummm I think so but it took me at least 30 battles...I forgot what was in there though...I'm extremely hyperactive and I would often push the button impulsively...

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I bit my controller out of frustration while playing Soul Calibur II the other night. It's got two little teeth marks right next to the Z button. Apart from that my consoles and related paraphernalia remain unscathed.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I didn't like Star Ocean 2, either. It's more just plain bland whereas Star Ocean 3 is outright bad, but either way, I don't consider it a series of much importance. Maybe the original was good.

That flute stuff was bullshit. I always thought the analog action buttons was the most useless feature on an otherwise ideal control pad, and I've never seen it used to good effect.

Also, when you do finally get Sophia late in the game, she isn't wearing that hot tank top she's got on in the beginning. She's got some lame jacket thing. Plus she starts at level 1, so you have devote some time to powering her up if you want to use her in battle.

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

And then the difficulty goes from insultingly easy to downright evil...

I wish the original had been ported here but they aren't budging...

And I loved Star Ocean 2, it is my second time all favorite game after the entire Sonic series but it's a hit or miss with most people...

You know Gibbon that they have alternate uniforms? Though they are in secret dungeons that are super hard...so you too can get Sophia's cuter outfits...(One of Fayt's outfit makes him look like Claude...eww...)

Anon

Post by Anon »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I didn't like Star Ocean 2, either. It's more just plain bland whereas Star Ocean 3 is outright bad, but either way, I don't consider it a series of much importance. Maybe the original was good.
Well, you could always download the SF rom and the patch that allows you to play it if you're really that curious. Not that I'm condoning roms. *cough*

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Oh, I'm sure I have the rom lying around somewhere, I just haven't bothered playing it yet.

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Also, when you do finally get Sophia late in the game, she isn't wearing that hot tank top she's got on in the beginning. She's got some lame jacket thing. Plus she starts at level 1, so you have devote some time to powering her up if you want to use her in battle.
I expected she wore that stupid jacket thing as much, considering she wears it on all the official art. But the level 1 throws me through a loop, considering Fayt would/should be at least around level 45 by then.

I pray that a Star Ocean 4 is never made.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

I'm fairly sure a 4th Star Ocean has been announced.

tornadot

Post by tornadot »

I haven't heard anything about a new Star Ocean title but if they do make one, I'd suggest not including a giant plot twist that makes you want to throw the game...

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I dunno, I kinda thought the plot twist was cool. That was actually my favorite part of the game. Granted, it was in the wee hours when I was at that part, and I was sleepy and it just struck me as kind of profound. In a very silly way, of course, but profound nonetheless.