Blaze the fucking cat

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
smiths32

Blaze the fucking cat

Post by smiths32 »

I didn't see anything about this in the news section, so I thought I should post this. Early stages of Sonic Rush have been unveiled to those at E3 in the form of a playable demo. It seems to resemble the advance series but its graphics have been polished up by the DS (although Sonic sporting a polygon look is bound to displease). The emphasis on playable characters has been removed with only Sonic and a new character named Blaze the Cat (joy) playable. Read for yourself here:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/sonic ... index.html

EDIT: Those are the screens, go here for info:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/sonic ... slot_click
Last edited by smiths32 on Tue May 17, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Wow, that character looks pretty lame. The whole using both screens thing is going to be really annoying I think considering the big blank spot in the middle and of course the fact that they are at a 120 degree angle to each other.

Ancient

Post by Ancient »

Could work

I'd have to play it for myself before I judge it

I'd like to say that Sega would never screw up like that... But I'd be lying

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

On closer inspection of that article, I realised that it said that Blaze goes through different levels and crosses paths with Sonic. If this can pull it off as well as Sonic Adventure did then it could actually be quite interesting (granted, 2 characters make for a less complex story than 6 though).

In addition it says that they are looking for "sol emeralds," whether this is an error on gamespot or even Sonic Team or if this is different from the chaos emeralds I don't know.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Love the design of the cat character. I like the look of the level art, too, although it seems a little sparse at the moment. Is that little Sonic polygonated? Beats the hell out of Mario DS, either way.

But I'm pretty unsure about the use of the dual screen mechanic. I guess it really depends on how often you move from one to the other. Also, what's with that gauge on the left? It better not have anything to do with "rubbing."

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

God, that Sonic model is the worst thing ever in the Sonic franchise! EVER! That is just a disgrace!

And Blaze the Cat!? They had thousands of of Sonic characters to chose from (and or to improve on) and yet they go and make another. A cat--who looks just like another fan character.

As far as my fandom is concerned, I think it is time for me to:

EDIT: Sorry, Esrever but I cannot see how that polygon of Sonic looks better than Mario's polygon on Mario Bros. DS. Though I do agree that some of the backgrounds look nice.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

How come she looks nothing like Big but pretty much like Rouge without wings and Sonic style sneakers? The level design for the water and desert levels blew me away, takes me back tothe genesis days, sort of.
As for the Sol Emeralds it may be that they are not Chaos Emeralds; Sun or Sol Emeralds sounds like a new idea to me.
The touch screen is not currently used in the game but those bastard Eggman Robots have made a return.
Last edited by Omni Hunter on Tue May 17, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

Esrever wrote:Also, what's with that gauge on the left? It better not have anything to do with "rubbing."
That gauge allows Sonic (and presumably Blaze) to active "Rush Mode" if its filled, making them practically invincible, or so I hear.

The only thing I'm concerned about with this game is the dual screens being distracting when Sonic moves from one screen to the other. But I must admit, the art looks good in my eyes, although the levels do look sparse at the moment.

And I must also say that Blaze actually looks pretty good. At the very least, it’s not another Totoro rip-off.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I'm just concerned in general, but that seems to come with the territory when Sonic is involved these days. I don't see any point in polygonizing the character models, though.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

It's just a crap gimmick, after you beat a boss you get multiple angle shots of the final blow. Ooooooo. Pointless nonetheless. I'd prefer it without above shots and a 2d sprite.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

I'll just post my rant:
<Spazz> . . .
<Spazz> Blaze the fucking cat?!
<Spazz> (Yeah, I just noticed)
<Spazz> Please let this be a joke.
<JollyJoes> Man, I'm getting Shadow vibes from Blaze
<JollyJoes> not good =/
<JollyJoes> I mean it is the expressions and good dang that 3D model is the worst Sonic thing ever
<Spazz> It's odd enough that it's name is "Blaze"
<Spazz> That. Is. Creepy.
<Spazz> I don't know how to feel about this..
<Spazz> I mean, usually, I am a very tolerant Sonic fan..
<Spazz> But this..
<Spazz> no
<Spazz> I'd even be able to accept Blaze as another character if he/she didn't look so much like a fan character.
<Spazz> I actually liked Cream and Cheese
<Spazz> I even thought Sonic Heroes wasn't as bad as everyone says it is..
<Spazz> But BLAZE?!

Ancient

Post by Ancient »

Everybody likes Cream and/or Cheese :lol:

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

No, they don't..

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I've got one thing to say about this:

Sonic Advance 4.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Frieza2000 wrote:I've got one thing to say about this:

Sonic Advance 4.
With a shitty polygonal Sonic. And a fan character pulled from some furry message board.

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

Anyone want to move this to the news?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

You're probably right there. Two words came into my mind when I seen "it" : "Furry" and "Generic". Plus they bring backthose stupid robots if that were'nt bad enough.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Ancient

Post by Ancient »

Wonder what it looks like in motion though...

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

What's wrong with the polygonal Sonic model? I thought it looked ok.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Maybe if it didn't have the cell shading it would look okay. The black outline spoils it by trying to mimick an Advance sprite.

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

Esrever wrote:What's wrong with the polygonal Sonic model? I thought it looked ok.
The poeple here just like bitching about everything.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

It looks undefined. Just look at his spines for example. It looks like a lazy mess of blue with the only thing that tells you that they are indeed spines are the tips on the end. Ugh.

Okay, I just looked over my previous post and maybe I overracted a little. But dang it, it looks like the former Sonic Team is getting lazy with their best selling franchise. =/

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

It's blocky and looks detached from the background. Why would you have a polygonal character if all the rest of the game is sprites? Just because the DS can do it?

Not that I think the level art itself is anything special, mind.
The poeple here just like bitching about everything.
Yeah, that must be it.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Timestones wrote:The poeple here just like bitching about everything.
Hahah, my thoughts exactly. Actually, that seems to be the case with much of the gaming community..
Ngangbius wrote:Okay, I just looked over my previous post and maybe I overracted a little. But dang it, it looks like the former Sonic Team is getting lazy with their best selling franchise. =/
I know what you mean, to me, it just came as a total shock:
Somewhere else, I wrote:
So while Blaze might look like a refugee from Starfox Adventure, be glad that in two years she'll be just another face in the crowd and you can all go home happy with a new character to complain about.
That's the the thing though, I've embraced all the new characters up until now...this is a total shock.
The reason I accepted Rouge and Shadow was because SA2 was the game that rekindled my interest in the Sonic series.
And I actually liked Cream and Cheese, because they were cute and sort of added a mediator for young female players, and at that point, I thought she should be the very last new character, evar, but no...
I reitterate, I'm a very tolerant fan, so I MIGHT have been able to accept even Blaze, if she didn't look SO MUCH like a fan character from some furry community.

Heck, my little sister doesn't even like Blaze, <b>and she's part of the audience this type of stuff is aimed at!</b> I find the fact of her unapproval refreshing, knowing not all kids her age think that every video game and character is automatically cool.
Also, she raised a good point by mentioning that it looks like she has feathers on top of her head. XD
What's with that diamond-looking thing on her head anyway?

It's still hilarious how her name is "Blaze" though. Many "ROFFLEs" and "XD"s
Last edited by Spazz on Tue May 17, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.