Xbox 1.5

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Really? I couldn've sworn it was originally going to be for the N64, then they switched it to Gamecube, then to the X-box and now the 360.

Man, I bet after all this time it's going to suck. I don't know why they didn't pull the plug on this game earlier.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Yeah, I want to think it was originally in development for the 64, though it wasn't shown until it had been switched to the Cube. Maybe I'm mistaken...

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

You must be confusing it with Dinosaur Planet. It's the only Rare game, that I know of, which jumped from the N64 to the Gamecube.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Protodude wrote:Really? I couldn've sworn it was originally going to be for the N64, then they switched it to Gamecube, then to the X-box and now the 360.

Man, I bet after all this time it's going to suck. I don't know why they didn't pull the plug on this game earlier.
Microsoft probably wanted to get their $350+ million worth.

Nintendo sure made a killing on that deal. XD

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Segaholic2 wrote:I heard Sony's going to be showing near-complete PS3 hardware at E3, meaning Nintendo's going to be the only one without anything concrete to show.
Everything I've read has stated that all three companies will be showing off their new consoles.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Star Fox Adventures was what became of Dinosaur Planet I think. I don't see much in Rare's future though. A lot of their most talented members left the company, kinda like what happened with Sonic Team.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Yeah, I don't see what the big fuss is regarding the Perfect Dark sequel in particular. Aren't most of the big figures behind Goldeneye and Perfect Dark now working on the Timesplitters series?

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

The Timesplitters group only worked on Goldeneye. They had already split before Perfect Dark went into production. In fact I think all the big figures behind PD is pretty much behind PDZ too.

Ancient

Post by Ancient »

Netaku wrote:
Ancient wrote:Call be biased but I hope the 360 dies a slow painful death. There's a reason I like consoles better than PC's for gaming and old Bill just won't rest until he's 'corrected' it.
I don't understand what that's supposed to mean at all.
Consoles are becoming more and more like computers. I want to be able to put in the gaming cd and play... But the Xbox has already introduced patches and mods and the 360 sounds like it's taking it further

Now patches and mods are all fine and dandy some of the time, but if I see publishers releasing half-asses games only to properly finish them in a series of downloadable patches then I'll be seriously pissed off

Didn't Bill Gates say at one point he envisioned a computer for your television? Isn't that half the point of the Xbox? I forget, but I don't like it either way

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

j-man wrote: with sniper rifles that shoot through walls. Come on Rare, don't drop the ball. Again.
I think that gun was the most broken weapon ever on any game. That includes Knights of the Round + Mimic.

Ash Holt

Post by Ash Holt »

Ancient wrote:
Netaku wrote:
Ancient wrote:Call be biased but I hope the 360 dies a slow painful death. There's a reason I like consoles better than PC's for gaming and old Bill just won't rest until he's 'corrected' it.
I don't understand what that's supposed to mean at all.
Consoles are becoming more and more like computers. I want to be able to put in the gaming cd and play... But the Xbox has already introduced patches and mods and the 360 sounds like it's taking it further

Now patches and mods are all fine and dandy some of the time, but if I see publishers releasing half-asses games only to properly finish them in a series of downloadable patches then I'll be seriously pissed off
I share the same fear, not only that developers will have the "Meh, we'll make such and such downloadable later" attitude, but also the idea of paying for that content.

But then again, isn't that something that is unique to console gaming right now? I've never had to pay for extra content in a PC game unless it was an expansion pack, and usually you could justify that. But what did I go and spend six dollars on not too long ago? Two fucking maps for Halo 2. Not even two particularly impressive ones, for God's sake.

I don't think it's so much that console gaming is inheriting all the worst aspects of PC gaming, but that developers are taking the best aspects and perverting them.

Didn't Bill Gates say at one point he envisioned a computer for your television? Isn't that half the point of the Xbox? I forget, but I don't like it either way
The whole "console/PVR/toaster" kind of thing is a turn off for me as well, not so much because I'm a purist; I'll probably end up modding the shit out of my Xbox and turning it into a media center type thing, so that's not it. It's because people will buy consoles based on those extra features, and not the actual library of games.

The PS2 had very few decent titles at launch (SSX is the only one that comes to mind for me), and there wasn't too much to get excited for on the horizon, but it still sold through the fucking roof when it launched. People flocked to stores to snatch them off the shelves just because it could play DVD's, no other reason.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Speaking of wich, are all the new-gen consoles going to have DVD players? Or Nintendo will be out of it again?

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

The Revolution will use normal DVDs instead of those wacky mini-discs, so yeah.

Brazillian Cara

But they are so pretty...and I was talking about DVD movies.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

What? Yes. DVD movies.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Regular DVDs? Oh good, I'll finally be able to pirate Nintendo games.

istavan_toth

Post by istavan_toth »

Wikipedia wrote:The Nintendo GameCube does not have any DVD-movie support, but a Nintendo GameCube hybrid product containing movie functionality has been released by Panasonic in Japan, named "DVD/GAME Player Q."
I guess this is old but anyway look <a href="http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gc ... m">here</a>.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I was just at the dentist getting a cavity filled. While in the waiting room I was reading a Time magazine, the cover story was the new Xbox. The whole damn thing was about how Bill Gates wanted to make the Xbox into first of all and entertainment center and second of all the most mainstream thing that ever hit the planet. As if gaming wasn't mainstream enough already.

I think I need to find a new hobby.

Ancient

Post by Ancient »

The cover of that magazine cracks me up

He must have fingers of steel (or the Xbox 360 is a hollow piece of crap)

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Hmm...I am quite curious about this news of Sega's X360's tech demos:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/616/616708p2.html

Sonic the Hedgehog
A SEGA montage wouldn't be complete without everyone's favorite blue mascot. The final segment of the video displayed Sonic the Hedgehog running at full speed down a grassy path. The foliage surrounding Sonic was clearly next-gen material, but it was hard to tell at times because he was moving at an incredible rate. I'd like to imagine that Sonic was moving through a realistic version of Green Hill Zone.

Sonic reached the edge of a cliff and performed a swan dive down hundreds of feet into a canyon. Sonic entered a large open cavern with flowing water at the bottom. Sonic began tossing ring bubbles into the environment and golden rings bounced around the huge room. At this point the announcer restated that everything shown was in real-time and sonic hit a series of springs and shot into the sky. The camera then switched back to sonic running and as he blasted across a flat plateau, a massive airship appeared above him and dropped down a fleet of robots. The robots formed a circle around him and pummeled our hero with machine gun fire. Sonic fell to the ground, only to spring back up into the air, surrounded by emeralds and transformed into the all-powerful golden sonic. He performed a charged air attack that turned the bots into a pile of rubble

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Where can I see these clips. AFTERBURNER! HOUSE OF THE DEAD! Virtua Fighter, also!

The other two I don't care about.

Brazillian Cara

CE wrote:One thing that seems underappreciated is that with 3D graphics reaching its apex,writing good looking games can only get easier. Now game companies will be able to spend a majority of their time on physics, AI, and content creation, instead of tuning their 3D graphics engines. This may cause most games to put all their development energy into high-res models and super detailed textures, but I prefer to believe that most games will put energy into making the game more fun.
I was gonna start a topic on this subject, but nevermind...
Anyway, this is a concrete thory. There WILL be a point when game graphics won't be able to get any better. And the same thing goes for sound quality. In other words, the content of the games will become the main objective. Let's pick an example...let's say, that great Saint Seiya game for the PS2. If Bandai decides to make a sequel/remake of the game on said generation, they will be able to include all playable characters, modes, stages, extra features, cutscenes, EVERYTHING- in full graphics quality and full speed. I hope you got my point.