When was the last you felt bad while playing a videogame?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Once, while my brother was playing MGS3, he was swimming underwater to avoid some enemies, and I had the audio from my laptop hooked up simultaneously with the game audio. So as he was swimming, I randomly play the Drown Timer/Water Warning music from Sonic Adventure, and my brother starts swimming upwards like mad for a second, thinking Snake is really about to drown.
It was funny.
Last edited by Spazz on Mon May 02, 2005 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Hah. That's the funniest thing I heard today.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I actually cried trying to figure out that 'Tower of Illusion' puzzle in Shining the Holy Ark.
Wait, which one was that? Was that the math puzzle?

I was actually a little creeped out in the carousel area of the ghost house in Mario 64. Just a little.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Spazz wrote:Once, while my brother was playing MGS3, he was swimming underwater to avoid some enemies, and I had the audio from my laptop hooked up simultaneously with the game audio. So as he was swimming, I randomly play the Drown Timer/Water Warning music from Sonic Adventure, and my brother starts swimming upwards like mad for a second, thinking Snake is really about to drown.
It was funny.
CLASIKILLY KONDISHIN'Ded

JessicaPadkin

Post by JessicaPadkin »

Green Gibbon! wrote:
I actually cried trying to figure out that 'Tower of Illusion' puzzle in Shining the Holy Ark.
Wait, which one was that? Was that the math puzzle?
Nah, it was the bit where you had to unlock a tower by solving a group of riddles in the form of 'hold your left hand aloft and offer it to me' or something similar. The solution just involved moving around a grid in a certain way but, well, I suppose it didn't help that I had no idea would you walk sideways...

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Hm. Last time I felt discomfort was playing... the Half-Life 1 mod, "They Hunger". I was on a big zombie kick at the time, and I was reaching the breaking point - too much. Looking back, They Hunger is relatively harmless, content-wise (yeah, there's blood and gore, but it's HL1) - but squeamish as I am, and considering I was on the verge of "too much", it was really unnerving.

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

I just about always cry when poor Aerith eats it. She's my fav, why'd she have to die??
First time I got to the second stage boss in Metal Slug 3 I got totally unnerved. Didn't even beat 'im :'(
Lately, I have issues asking for help in Guild Wars... maybe that's just paranoia.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

The ending of Conker's Bad Fur Day was pretty depressing. It had something of a "you don't know what you've got till it's gone" type ending. I read originally Conker was actually supposed to commit suicide by shooting himself but they changed it to set things up for a possible sequel instead.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I was actually a little creeped out in the carousel area of the ghost house in Mario 64. Just a little.

A Little!? I don't care if that was a Mario game, them ghost levels scared the shit outta me.
~Neo

Ancient

Post by Ancient »

FFX-2...

My brother saw me playing it

He wasn't impressed

Not cool

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

For you to even buy it...is horrendous.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

FFX-2 is a great game.

And yes, it was pretty unnerving back in 1996 when Mario first fell through that hole in the haunted mansion floor into a basement with water all over and weird circus music playing. But I calmed down after I found the reason for the music was just a carousel and not a psychotic clown or something.

Ancient

Post by Ancient »

It's not great... It's not great at all...

Unless you like incest, since Yuna is Brothers cousin

I'm ashamed of my hasty purchase... Full price too...

FULL PRICE! DAMN IT ALL TO HELL

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

The cousin-love thing is a minor aspect of a minor character's personality. Even if it bothers you, it shouldn't wreck the game or anything. If you want to explain why you don't like the game, at least give a good argument.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

FFX-2 was alright. But compared to the parade of awesome-ness that FFX was, it was kind of a let down. It's just that, at times, the storyline is too cheesy for it's own good, and while I don't mind the singing and music (I am stalking a Japanese pop-star, after all), there are parts in that game that are just embarassing. I wasn't a big fan of the battle system either, as it seemed like a step back from FFX's more tactical battles.

Plus, the game design was just lazy-- 90% of the enviroments are rehashes. I understand that much of the game has to take place in the same areas as the first game, but touch them up a little-- Change some stuff around, or hell, at least do a half-assed palette swap. The character models also show off the laziness of the team... Everyone talks about how much weight Wakka has gained, yet he has the same character model as in FFX. Lulu is supposed to be pregnant, yet she has the same slim character model as in FFX.

But that's not to say that the game is all bad... I mean, Shuyin was pretty cool, and once the storyline picked up steam and stopped trying to be "cute" it got pretty interesting.

But then the "good" ending pretty much ruins it all.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

The cousin-love thing is a minor aspect of a minor character's personality. Even if it bothers you, it shouldn't wreck the game or anything. If you want to explain why you don't like the game, at least give a good argument.
Yea. Besides, anyone who has played FFX-2 knows Brother's not right in the head.

FFX-2 was alright. But compared to the parade of awesome-ness that FFX was, it was kind of a let down. It's just that, at times, the storyline is too cheesy for it's own good, and while I don't mind the singing and music (I am stalking a Japanese pop-star, after all), there are parts in that game that are just embarassing. I wasn't a big fan of the battle system either, as it seemed like a step back from FFX's more tactical battles.

Plus, the game design was just lazy-- 90% of the enviroments are rehashes. I understand that much of the game has to take place in the same areas as the first game, but touch them up a little-- Change some stuff around, or hell, at least do a half-assed palette swap. The character models also show off the laziness of the team... Everyone talks about how much weight Wakka has gained, yet he has the same character model as in FFX. Lulu is supposed to be pregnant, yet she has the same slim character model as in FFX.

But that's not to say that the game is all bad... I mean, Shuyin was pretty cool, and once the storyline picked up steam and stopped trying to be "cute" it got pretty interesting.

But then the "good" ending pretty much ruins it all.

I pretty much agree with all you said, but I personally love the battle system, simply because it was so damn fast, which made it all the more exciting. It helps when I don't wanna waste minutes on a battle with the characters moving so damn slowly. My impatient brain can't handle that. Although I still have to suffer through that as I trudge my way to FF8. I hate that game.
~Neo

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

X-2 was like all Square games: not utterly incompetent in a formal sense, but nonetheless devoid of soul. There was nothing in it that wasn't rehashed. The combat was a throwback to that tired old "semi-realtime" system I had hoped the FF series was finished with and the environments were all ripped poly-for-poly directly out of FFX (and whether they were worth a repeat performance in the first place is a point up for debate). The dollhouse "collect the clothes" thing felt very gimmicky, and as a friend of mine pointed out at the time, has been done before and more compellingly. The story was ridiculous every step of the way, even moreso than FFX, and while it's true that I'm usually pretty forgiving of high cheese factor, this ocean of frammage offered me not a single piece of splintered driftwood to latch on to.

The whole thing just seemed very lazy and schlocked together with recycled pieces and some cheap school glue. If I had to pick out something about the game I liked, I would say that the massage mini-game was hot. I almost got a stiffy.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Yes, cheese factor, but I admit, I greatly perfer FFX-2 this over FF8 which not only is it terribly boring and frustrating (Who ever thought earning money in random and instead of the ol' fashion destroy monsters to get gil needs to be smack), but the story has some pointless scene and terrible character development sans Squall and maybe Rinoa.
~Neo

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I liked 8.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

8 was bad, but X-2 made AIDS look good.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

The peculiar thing about Final Fantasy games is that, in reality, they all kind of suck, but everybody has one that they like.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I liked 8.
Well, that's you.
The peculiar thing about Final Fantasy games is that, in reality, they all kind of suck, but everybody has one that they like.

Perhaps. Each one had their own ridiculous faults that frustrated me, yet I feel compell enough to like FF9 the best out of all of them.
~Neo

j-man

Post by j-man »

9 was pretty sweet.

I like to think I add something vital to every discussion.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I also like 8, although after the first disc you might as well not read the text because the already loose storyline just gets thrown out the window.

j-man

Post by j-man »

It had pretty pictures.