SH:UG

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Spazz

Post by Spazz »

SatAM is the Sonic cartoon that aired on ABC. The one with Sally, Rotor, etc.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Ah. The Archie one. Sorry. I'm quite easily confused.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

They call it SatAM because it was shown on Saturday mornings, I believe. Which is ever so slightly retarded.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Who coined that ridiculous term anyway?

j-man

Post by j-man »

Probably that cunt Dan Drazen or something.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Dan Drazen admitted that he started the "SATam" name calling on the MoFo message board a few days ago. At least, if I remember correctly.
~Neo

j-man

Post by j-man »

Oh Emm Gee. I was only taking the piss. He could be lying, but still, whether he made it or not he's a dick anyway.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Dunjohn wrote:Ah. The Archie one. Sorry. I'm quite easily confused.
The Archie comic is based off of the DiC show, but the show itself doesn't belong to Archie.

J.E.Smith

Post by J.E.Smith »

Yeah, the concept of SatAM came first, then when Archie wanted to make the comic, Sega of America told them to include the SatAm characters. Speaking of Archie, the reason why Sega still allows it to be published is because they dish out a huge shitload of money for the rights to Sonic. They don't care if the comic is crap, as long as they get some free money off of Archie they could care less.

Of course, it IS ABC's doing that SatAM was made in the first place. DiC came up with AoStH first, showed it to ABC, they thought it sucked and told DiC to make a better animated and more epic Saturday morning style cartoon or Sonic would not air on ABC at all.

I should also mention that it was Disney who was responsible for its cancellation. See, while Sonic was getting his ass kicked in the ratings due to Power Rangers, the then head of ABC Kids' programming loved the show and was going to give Sonic another season anyways. Then Disney bought out ABC, fired the old guy, and the new guy hated it and had it axed. Of course, maybe the huge Internet fan following and fuss over getting it renewed probably wouldn't have happened.

The show ended on a cliffhanger, and later Ben Hurst, the head writer behind SatAM during Season 2 revealed plot points to the third season. This caused the SatAM fans to want more, which led to a huge SatAM fanfiction boom with their take on the third season. At one point Ben wanted to finish his take on Sonic and tried to get the fans to write in letters to Sega and DiC to get enough support to make it happen, but obivously nothing came of it.

As of now the SatAM fans know the chances of the third season happing are zilch, but they still continue to support the show. All that matters to them is the show airing anywhere, even if its just on a local station(which is most likely to happen on a PBS station in Pennsylvania, who's president happens to be a SatAM fan herself in the coming months). That and trying to get a DVD box set of it.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

(the whole thing about the cartoon coming out before the comics)

"The More You Know!"
=====#
(just pretend it's a star, ok?!)

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Was Robotnik as ass-ugly in SU as in the other two?

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

He looked the same as he did in SatAM. Ew.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Too bad he didn't look all sexy like he does in the games.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Spazz wrote:He looked the same as he did in SatAM. Ew.
Didn't also had a cowboy hat and was called Deputy Robotnik or something stupid like that? XD

Why did DiC, Sega of America, or whoever changed his design anyway?

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

Art Mawhinney would be the one to ask, as it was his initial character concepts that were adopted for SatAM.

I guess Eggman wasn't "evil" looking enough for a planet-polluting evil scientist. It's the same train of thought that had Ristar's enemies having mean looks instead of the original blank stares, or basically any of the other changes made to the game.

J.E.Smith

Post by J.E.Smith »

Ngangbius wrote:
Didn't also had a cowboy hat and was called Deputy Robotnik or something stupid like that? XD

Why did DiC, Sega of America, or whoever changed his design anyway?
Thankfully, they dropped the Deputy theme.

I'm guessing the changed design maybe similar to how they didn't draw Bowser accuratly in the Mario cartoons. They took the AoStH Robotnik design first, which looked was a bit more similar to Eggman(Red nose, was silimar, no cape), and modified it to look less goofy to fit the serious theme of SatAM. Intersetingly enough, one of DiC's early Robotnik designs actually had him wearing the same suit pre-SA Eggman did, but they changed it for some reason.

JessicaPadkin

Post by JessicaPadkin »

A chap called Milton Knight designed the AoStH Robotnik, you can see his original model sheet <a href="http://www.miltonknight.net/animation.html">on this page (scroll down a bit).</a> Go on, look. It's really great.

j-man

Post by j-man »

The furry in the title made me think twice about clicking that link.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I know you probably posted that for mocking purposes, Jessica, but thanks anyway. I enjoyed AoSTH almost as much as most of the the other continuities, so it was pretty damn cool to see the designer's "model sheet" of the big one.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

The furry in the title made me think twice about clicking that link.
I'm not that big of an animal fan (As I see it, they belong on the other side of a muzzle, not a phallus), but why is everyone here so, I don't know, terrified of furries? I mean seriously, what the fuck is Rouge supposed to be? Or even Amy? Or did you guys puke your way through SA2?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I don't know when this whole "furry" thing started, but characters like Sonic the Hedgehog, Mickey Mouse, and Bugs Bunny were all around well before this whole fad (or fetish, whatever) began. Back when it was okay to have fun watching a cartoon with talking animals.

I don't consider myself prejudiced when it comes to discrimination of sexual orientation, but I think furries are pretty stupid and sick.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Well, when someone is gay, lets say a man, they can actually find a man to have a relationship with. When someone is into furries well... I think you see my logic already.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

It's the bestiality aspect, I think. That's the fetish that's beyond my comprehension.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Those are reasons why it is asinine, not reasons why it's horrifying.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Well just cause you find it horrifying doesn't mean it is, there is no reason why it is horrifying to people that like it.