Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey" from Warren Spector

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

Re: Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey" from Warren Spector

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, I quite enjoyed Land of Illusion, and Castle of Illusion for the GG/MS was more or less that but with level themes taken from the Genesis game, so... yeah, it's still a pretty decent romp.

I did play Magical Quest 2 lately. Pretty decent, although swapping costumes out repeatedly got a bit annoying by the end of it all. Wanted to get the first one from the same seller, but it was bought up by another eBay user before I could get to it. (So I was going substitue Mickey Mania... when the same thing happened. Then NES Duck Tales... and again, snatched up. I promptly bought what I was going to buy from that seller before anything else was taken.)

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I remember Castle of Illusion as much of a classic Genesis game as the Sonic series. Some of that might have to do with nostalgia, since I think Castle was the second game I ever owned after Sonic 1.

Thinking about it now, Castle had a better feel to it despite the inferior graphics and somewhat questionable controls (using down to butt-stomp enemies?).

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I dunno, it really depends on how the butt-stomp works; the Mario series has done "push down for butt-stomp" since either Wario Land or Yoshi's Island (depending on which came first), and both worked extremely well; IIRC, Wario's even keeps a bit of his horizontal momentum when you do it.

Y'know what was another good game set in the Disney universe? QuackShot. IIRC I wound up getting that game back in 2007, and it still impressed me. I mean, it's not a timeless classic or anything, but it held up pretty well over the years.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Failing to ground-pound in most games doesn't cause you to take collision damage (unless it were a spiked enemy in which case you'd take damage regardless). It's kind of unintuitive, unless you are playing Zelda II or Monster World.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Did Castle of Illusion invent the butt bounce attack? I can't think of an earlier example.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Speaking of decent platformers, it seems Kid Klown for the NES was originally a Micky Mouse game in Japan, then later changed due to Capcom's license/contract.

It's really quite an inventive game that centers on using balloon projectiles in interesting ways, such as slowing your decent after a jump or used as impromptu springs.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

As I recall, the same was true of the Crazy Castle series, at least a few of them; starred Bugs Bunny in the West, starred Mickey Mouse in the East (except the first one for the NES, which was a Roger Rabbit game of all things).

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Unless I'm mistaken, those were all developed by Kemco, and that was their business model in those days. They had a few simple puzzle/platform games that they injected various cartoon licenses into, depending on the region. Exact same games, but different characters. For example, I had a Kemco Ghostbusters game on the Game Boy that was released as a Mickey Mouse game in Japan and a Garfield game in Europe.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Shadow Hog wrote:I dunno, it really depends on how the butt-stomp works; the Mario series has done "push down for butt-stomp" since either Wario Land or Yoshi's Island (depending on which came first), and both worked extremely well; IIRC, Wario's even keeps a bit of his horizontal momentum when you do it.
In Castle of Illusion the butt stomp is the basic attack. It's the same as a standard jump in the Mario games, except you have to press down before you land on an enemy if you don't want to take damage. Mickey doesn't throw himself to the ground like Mario's ground-pound. It's the difference between Mickey landing feet-first (which will cause damage to Mickey) or landing butt-first (which will cause damage to the enemy).
Shadow Hog wrote:Y'know what was another good game set in the Disney universe? QuackShot. IIRC I wound up getting that game back in 2007, and it still impressed me. I mean, it's not a timeless classic or anything, but it held up pretty well over the years.
QuackShot is awesome. It was one of the earlier games I had for Genesis. Just like with Castle of Illusion and Sonic 1, it got a lot of attention from the neighborhood kids back in the day. It's still a pretty unique game. I've yet to see another game use its general gameplay premise.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Ah, Quackshot. It was one of the scant few games I had growing up. In retrospect, it's really Duck Tales and Mega Man rolled into one (not a bad thing). Too damn difficult, though; I don't think I've ever beaten it.

Kick-ass soundtrack, too.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

The only Mickey Mouse game I remember owning as a kid was Mickey's Dangerous Chase for the GameBoy. Apparently that was made by Capcom, too, so that's one more than I previously said. I thought it was OK, but I never got past the factory world.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I was really excited, but I'm not quite feeling it anymore.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

So what is this, a prequel to Kingdom Hearts?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Nah. There's no animu characters in it.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Heh, that's the Sorcerer from The Sorcerer's Apprentice (no not Nicolas Cage). Kind of contradicts his statement that they haven't met again since the incident, a span implied to be the entirety of Mickey's career.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

He didn't say they didn't met, he said he didn't know who he was.

Anyway, I kinda remember the Master System version of Castle of Illusion being better than the Genesis one. But Quackshot was always my favorite.

Who here ever played Cold Shadow, that game where Donald Duck (or Maui Mallard, depending on the version you're playing) is an awesome hawaiian ninja detective?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I really liked the Megadrive/PC version of Cold Shadow! Not a fan of the SNES port, though, which had a lot of different (and usually worse) mechanics and level layouts, and which totally ruined the beautiful limited palate look with some really garish, generic looking graphics:

MEGADRIVE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAz9mMS9 ... re=related
SNES: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-64ZR5V8s

The Land of the Dead stage is another great example... on the Megadrive, it was almost black and white in appearance. Really cool! The PC version is good too... it has enhanced graphics and sound, but kept the gameplay and "look" of the original. It won't run in Windows XP, though!

Bonus Triva: Maui Mallard was one of the first soundtrack gigs of Michael Giacchino (The Incredibles, Up, Lost)!

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I did play the SNES version (the Maui Mallard one) back when game rental stores weren't a rarity. I don't remember much of it, but I do have distinct memories of a few stages and the soundtrack.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Opa-Opa wrote:He didn't say they didn't met, he said he didn't know who he was.
Kinda ballsy that he'd take on an apprentice without learning his name. :P

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Addendum: Oh, he didn't witness who caused the mess. That makes more sense.

I figured he'd think to look through the mirror at least once?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Esrever wrote:Bonus Triva: Maui Mallard was one of the first soundtrack gigs of Michael Giacchino (The Incredibles, Up, Lost)!
Yeah, I saw that yesterday! Pretty cool piece of information. I really liked what he did on Speed Racer.

I played the PC version, never knew that the Genesis one was the original and the others were ports, I always thought the PC version was the original one. I remember it being amazing, with fluid graphics, perfect sound and CD quality soundtrack. I'm gonna see if I can find it again.

Anyone ever played the PK Duck (or Phantom Duck or Paperinik or Superduck or Duck Avenger or Superpato, depending where you live) game for PS2 or GC? You know, that superhero Donald turns into in the comics? I always wanted them to do a game about that, but they chose to portrait him as that italian sci-fi-like series that came out in the early 2000s.

BTW, Warren Spector wants to do a Ducktales game. FUCK YES.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Fun fact: If you want to make a game look cool, the Wii is a bad pic, unless you are Nintendo...

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Needs more Darkwing Duck.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Wasn't the Genesis version of Maui Mallard released only on the Sega Channel in North America?