Sonic level design, a discussion.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Re: Sonic level design, a discussion.

Post by P.P.A. »

DackAttac wrote:You're right. It doesn't fix everything; it therefore must not have any bearing on anything.

Maybe it's not impossible, but you'd have to make sure Sonic's momentum was gone before placing an enemy, since you have lower reaction time. I think some of the Game Gear games did an OK job in that department.
Compare the Game Gear games to their Master System versions then.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I think it'd be interesting to have a special stage (or gimmick stage) in the next Rush game where Sonic is always going down, so all the obstacles and enemies can be seen ahead of time. It could be Sonic running down the side of a huge building and having to jump over obstacles and enemies. He could stay near the top of the top screen, with the camera only moving him closer to the DS's screen divide when enemies come racing down after him from above. There could be parts where a paralel surface could come from the other side of the screen and Sonic would have to jump to the other side of the screen. The surface he runs down can "wave" like a rolling vertical hill to "launch" him off. The player would have to move him back to the surface in time to avoid more hazards. He could even be in "ball form" at points. He could "jump" off the surface to land back on his feet. There would be no need for dash pads because gravity would always be the driving force. There could be ledges or check points before particular hazards. There could be multiple routes, with surfaces that divide the screen vertically.

It could play something like a vertical schmup, done with Sonic and his move-set instead of shooting, with Sonic always running down the left or right sides of the screen. Or think of it doing to Sonic what Canvas Curse did to Kirby.

There'd probably have to be something done about how he bounces off enemies when he attacks them. Or maybe that could be kept in and be used to develope the obstacles more.

I haven't thought this through too much, having thought of it only a minute ago, but I was just going along with the idea for a vertical DS Sonic game.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

P.P.A. wrote:Compare the Game Gear games to their Master System versions then.
Hoo. It's been awhile, so I may be talking out of my ass. I may also be romanticizing them a tad since they're all I had to go on for Sonic games until 1998, when my parents decided "let" me have a Genesis, at age twelve.

What strikes me immediately is Sonic's overall speed was capped lower than the Genesis games. They utilized things like rocks and elevated platforms to signal the end of a "runway" and the introduction of badniks. There were also some badniks, I recall, that wouldn't harm you if you went fast enough, but messed with your head. The later levels seemed to consist more of traditional pre-Sonic style platforming. In fact, the whole series seemed less about speed than anything else Sonic had his name on. Slanted as my opinion may be, I think that's kept it somewhat a cut about Advance & Rush.