Spider-Man 3 friday

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Apparently there were even more scenes cut than previously thought.

Completely different encounter between Venom and Sandman:

"Sandman takes the form of a rather large sandcastle in a park, just as his ex-wife and daughter come by. Penny plays with the sandcastle briefly. When Penny and her mother aren’t looking for a moment, the sandcastle disappears. Venom talks to Sandman from the shadows, beneath a tree. He brings up Sandman’s family as conversation, not as a threat, but as a way to illustrate how bitter he is at what he feels Parker’s taken from him."

Apparently in this scene, Eddie follows Gwen home and Captain Stacy threatens to arrest him:

And an extended version of Eddie's arrival at the church (apparently with way more dialogue):

Also, it seems that they cut at least one or two scenes with Harry talking to his father's reflection or doing general crazy person stuff, which would've helped his character considerably.

Christ, I don't understand why they cut all of that in favour of the endless Peter-MJ romance scenes. Keeping this stuff in would've seriously improved the movie. I can't even begin to understand why the Sandman and Venom encounter was changed at all when they had what was clearly a substantially better version of it already filmed.

Let's hope we don't have to wait until Spider-Man 4 for a directors cut release. And let's hope they're also willing to cut some footage in addition to adding. As much as people complain about the ending, I still think it's the first hour that needs the most work.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

For the record, one of the things I hated about Spiderman 2 is the way they made Dr Octopus sympathetic. They totally changed the character from a selfish scientist who performs dangerous experiments just because he's a dick into another "something evil has taken me over!" plot that came off as a generic Green Goblin rehash.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

They probably did that to give the story some realism.

Doc Ock just being a crazy old scientist who does evil for the heck of it sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Also, Raimi said once that he sees all Spider-Man villains as real people, they're like Peter, they have some sort of transformation, and while Peter decides to choose his opowers to do good, the villains end up making bad choices in life and become villains.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

cjmcray wrote:They probably did that to give the story some realism.
In the comics he was a bad guy. In the movie he was a good guy who was mind-controlled into being evil by robotic tentacles. More realistic?

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Well, ok, the robot tentacles weren't really realistic, but making him a good guy at first, gave SOME realism. He wasn't just some crazy old coot who wanted to rule the world.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I don't think "realistic" is the word you're looking for.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think he means depth. It gave his character a well-realized motivation that could be developed and resolved in a two hour film.

Doc Ock has been given countless different motivations throughout the history of the comic... I think we can all be glad that the film didn't take the "abused child" angle. Making him a tragic character was very different from anything that had been done with the character before, but it worked really well in the context of the film, so I didn't have a problem with it.

That said, I do have a soft spot for the outright-evil Doc Ock... especially the one from the Ultimate Spider-man universe. He's probably the most overtly evil and menacing interpretation of the character ever done.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Yes. He's very good at turning great villains into decent villains.
Which is actually good in comic book movies. Most of the directors turn great villains into crap.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I'm still upset by what they did to Doctor Doom in the first Fantastic Four movie. Completely ruined the movie for me.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

He'll be full Doom in the sequel, I think.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

cjmcray wrote:He'll be full Doom in the sequel, I think.
Yes, and apparently his grand ambitions amount to trying to steal the Silver Surfer's surfboard.

Poor Silver Surfer. Why did they have to drag him, of all characters, into this inevitable disaster of a movie?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

the only good thing about the carnage saga was that venom was there, if they make a movie about carnage with no venom in it, it will suck.

why would theyd want to give carnage all the glory when venom was treated like utter crap?

PS. Sandman was treated as a god, you can tell he was the director's toy.

Black Rook
Mundane Cake Recipes

Post by Black Rook »

Pepperidge wrote:Poor Silver Surfer. Why did they have to drag him, of all characters, into this inevitable disaster of a movie?
Because he's not a big enough draw to warrant his own movie.

But then again, didn't they recently assign a director to a fucking NAMOR movie? Hasn't Ray Park been set to play Iron Fist for like six years? I hear there's an Ant-man movie down the line! I really can't wait for that Deathlok movie!

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Dethklok movie?

The best thing that was ever done regarding "Fantastic Four movie" was the "Rise of the Silver Surfer" teaser. I bet that teaser is better than the movie.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Given that "Gah Lak Tus" in the movie is just a giant dust cloud, I'd say so.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Black Rook wrote:But then again, didn't they recently assign a director to a fucking NAMOR movie? Hasn't Ray Park been set to play Iron Fist for like six years? I hear there's an Ant-man movie down the line! I really can't wait for that Deathlok movie!
Don't forget that Underdog mvoie coming out in August.

WW

Post by WW »

Underdog movie?! Hot damn, that's going to be fucking epic!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Underdog voiced by Jason Lee is the biggest miscast I've ever heard of in a cartoon adaptation.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Don't forget that Underdog mvoie coming out in August.

Say what?

No, on second thought, that's all i'd like to know.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Zeta wrote:Underdog voiced by Jason Lee is the biggest miscast I've ever heard of in a cartoon adaptation.
What about Rosie O'Donnell as Betty Rubble?

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I had to IMDb the Underdog movie. And while most of the promo images they've got up there are pretty meh, I have to say that this one is damn cool.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

SHOESHINE BOY CAN'T SHINE SHOES IF HE DOESN'T HAVE OPPOSABLE THUMBS.

WW

Post by WW »

A real dog to play Underdog? What the hell were they thinking?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Apparently they weren't.

Zing!

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

WW wrote:A real dog to play Underdog? What the hell were they thinking?
My bet is that it's the same people who decided on what movie-fied Odie would look like, a.k.a. NOTHING LIKE ODIE.