The Power is On

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Yami CJMErl

The Power is On

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Bandai's bringing the original Power Rangers back to the USA.

...pardon me for a moment while I pick my jaw up from off the floor and sedate my inner nine-year-old.

Dasher

Re: The Power is On

Post by Dasher »

Heheh, Good times.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Great! Time to relive my childhood and proceed to not give a damn, just like I didn't when I was old enough to be this series' demographic!

It's nice for those who actually care, though. Like, really nice. Although I'm under the impression it's just toys? (Dunno, the press release was tl;dr, so.)

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Nice. A friend of mine just bought a mint condition Megazord and Dragonzord off Ebay to fulfill his childhood dream of slamming together the Mega-Dragon-Zord.

My cel ringtone is the power rangers' beep. It's cool to seem like I'm being called to fight giant monsters. It's a great excuse to leave dull places and it's a great way to pick up girls. =D

I guess Power Rangers did live its mark, even though I wasn't that much of a fan when I was a kid.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I hated Power Rangers, I liked Voltron better. They were actually trained soldiers. And they fought in space. Which automatically makes them seem better to me.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Shadow Hog wrote:It's nice for those who actually care, though. Like, really nice. Although I'm under the impression it's just toys? (Dunno, the press release was tl;dr, so.)
From the looks of things, it'll be both toys AND a "new" TV show (I haven't heard of what the new show might be like--some believe that they might try and re-broadcast the old 1993 show...

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

It's all but officially confirmed it won't have the theme song (Disney never bought the music from Saban). Plus it'll be edited & censored to hell no doubt.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

...I don't know what to think... On one hand, these guys were my heroes when I was growing up... On the other, nobody except us retrofags and toy manufacturers will probably give a flying fuck. And if they try to "remake" the series, there are a million things that can go wrong.

...Oh well. Here's hoping for Bulk and Skull action figures!

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I used to have a bunch of the toys in a box somewhere, I wonder if it's still around in my house.

I pretty much stopped watching the show after Lost Galaxy, which was probably already waaaaay after I should've known better. Although I did watch the Forever Red episode from a little while back, which consists of every Red Ranger up until that point getting together to kick some Beetleborg ass. It even had Bulk and Scull playing chess with the chest pieces being the Psycho Rangers from In Space.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Team Mecha wrote:It's all but officially confirmed it won't have the theme song (Disney never bought the music from Saban). Plus it'll be edited & censored to hell no doubt.
Well, I'm not as much interested in the TV show as I am in the toys. I always wanted the original Megazord, but never got the chance to buy one...

...and I don't have to worry as much about any differences between the 1993 and 2010 editions, because all the Megazords in between then have had the same articulation: none!

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Zeta wrote:I hated Power Rangers, I liked Voltron better. They were actually trained soldiers. And they fought in space. Which automatically makes them seem better to me.

Agreed, plus they had a freaking ROYAL LION MEGA BOT!! I have such fond memories of that show, it helped shape who I am today.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Yes, but just how can you hope to top dinosaurs in terms of overall coolness?

Neo

Post by Neo »

Pirate ninja dinosaurs. I mean, it basically writes itself.

Blount

Post by Blount »

i did not drew this

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:Yes, but just how can you hope to top dinosaurs in terms of overall coolness?
Only two of them were actually dinosaurs. : (

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Protodude wrote: Although I did watch the Forever Red episode from a little while back, which consists of every Red Ranger up until that point getting together to kick some Beetleborg ass.
I didn't know Beetleborg was set in the same universe as Power Rangers. And weren't they good guys?

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Actually, those were survivors of the Machine Empire (the second series villains), or something like that. I kind of skipped that and the third series (the one with the cars), only to stop watching altogether after Wild Force.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:I didn't know Beetleborg was set in the same universe as Power Rangers. And weren't they good guys?
They're not, they actually just reused the costumes for the villains. Sort of a nod to it I guess.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The only season I thought was cool was the magic one where they had a damn Mermaid Zord.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Zeta wrote:The only season I thought was cool was the magic one where they had a damn Mermaid Zord.
Mystic Force? OK, now your opinion is officially null & void. No one in his right mind would ever call a Kalish season the best one, let alone the only good one.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Did anyone here watch Mystic Knights? I found it more interesting than Power Rangers, if yet awfully animated CGI dragons are much lamer than people in rubber costumes stomping through toy landscapes.
What was a black person doing in medieval Ireland though?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Honestly I was more bugged by his water elemental attack looking more like blue lightning.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

It seems that the 80's nostalgia wave that have since long overstayed it's welcome is finally starting to be replaced by 90's nostalgia. So far we've had new toys based on the original Power Rangers, the original 151 Pokémon, many of the characters featured in Disney's 90's TV cartoons (like Darkwing Duck, and Chip and Dale in their Rescue Rangers incarnation) and Sonic in his original design. And then there was also that recent Simpsons episode that was all about parodying 90's pop culture.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Zeta wrote:I hated Power Rangers, I liked Voltron better. They were actually trained soldiers. And they fought in space. Which automatically makes them seem better to me.

Guess you never saw Macross then...

They where soldiers, they had planes that transformed into robots, and they had a romance triangle...