Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey" from Warren Spector

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Re: Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey" from Warren Spector

Post by Ngangbius »

CM August wrote:
Wii Exclusive
Fuck that. The Wii can't do these visuals justice.
Neither can the HD console twins. Only the superior PC can.

However, concept art doesn't really reflect the final product, this game have been in development for years, and most likely have motion-controls so your statement and mines above is moot.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

What about Metriod Prime 3? The environments are nowhere near the scale suggested in this concept art, but I thought they looked just as ornate.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Spoiler Alert: “Epic” November Issue Revealed

The rumors have been flying for months. From the outrageous (some actually thought we were bought by Disney, which was quite funny), to the right on (our forums pieced together all the clues from the last issue), the time has come to lay all rumors to rest. The November cover is indeed, Disney Epic Mickey, coming exclusively to the Nintendo Wii from Junction Point and Disney Interactive Studios.

This issue is the first of our highly anticipated redesign that subscribers should be receiving around October 12th.

There are a number of other highlights, including a Skate 3 first-look, an in-depth, seven-page report on the relationship between Hollywood and video games, interviews with executives from all three console manufacturers, and much, much more.

But the biggest news is our expanded coverage online that is available to all gameinformer.com visitors. Starting at 4PM CST today we will unveil the first companion piece to the magazine: an exclusive video interview with Warren Spector about his relationship with Mickey Mouse, including a portion of his giant Disney memorabilia collection that is housed at Junction Point. We will also have a photo-blog chronicling many of the outstanding pieces in his collection hitting at the same time.

This is just the beginning of our month of Mickey madness that will unfold over the next three plus weeks. So be sure to watch our Disney Epic Mickey landing page over the following month.

We don’t want to spoil what’s to come, but we have some amazing things in store, including screenshots, animations, and tons of concept art and music.

Watch for the issue in your mailbox over the coming weeks and make sure to come to gameinformer.com for the latest updates and news.

Oh yeah, and one last thing. All GI covers from here on out will feature a full wrap-around cover. Here is the Mickey cover in all its glory. The best part, and the reason we switched to these, is that the subscriber address label and the UPC will be on the back so it no longer clashes with our wonderful cover art.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Wait, so it's actually called Epic Mickey? It's nice that they want to get their point across, but slapping it on the game's title is kind of silly.

Great picture. Definitely different from the steampunk-ish feel of all the previous ones, and it's nice to actually see Mickey. With the way his face is still hidden, I can't help but wonder if they're doing something to him.

Is it just me or is he wearing his shorts the other way around? I don't recall the buttons being on the back...

Neo

Post by Neo »

Blount wrote:Is it just me or is he wearing his shorts the other way around? I don't recall the buttons being on the back...
bfwahahahahahahahaha

EPIC MICKEY

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

So I just finished KH 358/2 Days & this is the 1st thing I see as I go on the computer. I suddenly feel like I wasted a week of my life because that cover alone looks like everything Square should've been doing.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Is that Oswald standing next to the gate?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

If it isn't it should damn well be.

Let's see... also it looks like the Oogy Boogyman from Nightmare Before Christmas right there. I sure hope it isn't because that guy will end up getting stale pretty fast. I'd love to see classic Mickey villains like Pete and the Phantom Blot.

And one of the ghosts back there resemble a flying Peter Pan (the one in on the bottom). Anybody knows what house could that be? The one with the columns...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Pretty sure all the ghosts are from (or intended to resemble) Night on Bald Mountain.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

More information from Eurogamer
Epic Mickey is a tale about the 'forgotten' Disney stars: the rides, the characters, the lesser-known cartoons. When nobody any longer cares, they are cast into a dark void; a forgotten world of broken machines and bitter personalities - a bit like Sid's bedroom in Toy Story, but without the friendly furnishings.

This forgotten world is run by Oswald the Rabbit. He was Disney's first creation, made long before Mickey Mouse, and his jealousy of the newcomer has fermented for years. Now, finally, Oswald is ready for revenge.

He unleashes The Phantom Blot to wipe out Mickey and his cartoon world. The Blot pollutes the Disney universe with sticky black ink that makes colours run and fade (as seen on the Game Informer cover), so it's up to Mickey to restore peace and order. And this is where his tools come in.

Mickey has to draw and scribble his way through levels, mending broken bridges by applying the right colour paint or peering through walls after applying thinner. He can even clear rubble from his path by erasing parts of the world.

Our source told us Epic Mickey is a game about thinking and artwork - laterally considering your environment in order to overcome puzzles.

On top of that is a healthy dose of exploration, plus Mickey will be getting "his first makeover in years". "That's why no one's seen his face yet," our source explained, "But he's far more retro than you've seen him for years."
Oswald as the antagonist might just be the most brilliant idea I've heard in a long fucking time.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Fuck, this might the most brilliant idea for a Disney game PERIOD in a long time.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Fuck yeah, Phantom Blot!

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

This is tight. Thank god it came to fruition.

Does anybody else notice what appears to be text to the right of the haunted mansion? It almost looks like "5ACE" or something weird like that.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

This is, well, epic. It sounds like a concept that wouldn't even be considered by Disney five years ago.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Sounds like a decidedly less flamboyant Captain Rainbow.

I wonder if "forgotten" is limited to the vintage characters; would we be getting some Don Carnage and Gizmo Duck, et al?

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Man, the more I hear about this game the more excited I get. Hopefully since it's Wii exclusive they'll be able to focus a bit more on the graphics like most first party Nintendo games.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Gizmo Duck
That would be awesome. Darkwing Duck as well please k thanks.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Finally the Phantom Blot! Never understood why the hell Square left him out of the Kingdom Hearts series.

Damn... there's so much I want to see in that game.

Actually, it's kind of funny if you remember that the Phantom Blot actually is Walt Disney himself.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Opa-Opa wrote:
Actually, it's kind of funny if you remember that the Phantom Blot actually is Walt Disney himself.
I never knew this. Proof?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

I don't need proof. I have my word.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

But here it is.

His face is a cartoonized and anthropomorphicized Walt Disney. That panel is from the series of "Mickey Outwits the Phantom Blot", his first appearence.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Am I the only one who is intrigued by Mickey's new makeover most of all from the news we were given. I guess all will be revealed on the 28th.
Opa-Opa wrote:Finally the Phantom Blot! Never understood why the hell Square left him out of the Kingdom Hearts series.
I assuming that the character isn't that well known in Japan. That and he never appeared in any theatrical film or short.

Also, I would be surprised if they used any Disney Afternoon-originated characters in this game outside of Max Goof.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

This is supposed to appeal to the Wii fanbase?

And here I thought it was for weird older men who want strange versions of their favourite old cartoons.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Can't be any less strange than Kingdom Hearts, and kids gobbled that up.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Ngangbius wrote:I assuming that the character isn't that well known in Japan. That and he never appeared in any theatrical film or short.
I don't know if there were any theatrical shorts, but there are at least two cartoons from the House of Mouse that I know of: Mickey Foils the Phantom Blot (1999) and Mickey and the Color Caper (2002).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rwS-ZP6cCc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqHHBLiMYrE