Wiiiii!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Rolken

Post by Rolken »

Menander wrote:Bob Ross: The Joy of Painting for Nintendo Wii.
No longer :(

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Apparently they're going to try and find another developer to work on it.

Anyway did anyone in Europe pick up a Wii? I didn't really care enough about launch day to preorder but I'm starting to wish I did as it's looking like it could be frickin January before I can get my hands on one (at a reasonable price that is, so Ebay can fuck right off).

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

OK, so here's an annoying Wii design flaw that will hopefully be fixed by a future firmware update.

As you have probably heard, a big feature of the Wii is that it is "always online"... that is, even when it is powered down, it is still in "standby mode" and can still download things and recieve messages and so on. In fact, when it's in standby mode and it recieves a message for you, the blue light blinks to indicate you should turn it on and read it.

The problem (as far as I can tell, anyway) is that when the thing is in standby mode, the internal fans aren't running. However it's still using something inside to do all this online business, and whatever it is using gets REALLY hot without the fans going.

So (ironically), the longer you leave the system off, the hotter it gets. After a couple of days without being turned on (which would turn on the fans and cool it), it's QUITE hot... not hot enough to burn your hand, but hot enough to make a game disc or a gamecube memory card very warm to the touch.

The solution is to disable standby mode, which is easy to do. But that means that when it's off, it's off... it won't download messages or miis or anything like that until you power it up again. Clearly, they need to change the standby settings so that it uses the internal fans now and then to keep the temperature cool, like it does when the thing is on.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Secret Rings box art.

Is it me or is this box art awesome?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

It's okay. I kinda wish that not EVERYTHING was a 3D render these days, though. Barring <i>Zelda</i>, which has yet to stoop to that level for some reason or another.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

The grin and hands ruin it, and why the ring on the middle finger? It puts me off somehow, and it'll only lead to bad jokes.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Ya, shouldve been the Index finger! his lucky finger! >_< well atleast he lifts his finger in the PS3/360 game.

what gets me is, why does Sonic have Fire on his heart? what will be the story on this now? Also, I hope Eggman is in this game, It will feel weak if the enemy is another genie in a bottle or even worst a lizard.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

I like everything about that box art except for Sonic's right hand.

I don't know why they didn't use this image though, its way better.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

well youre right, lets hope that one is on another region version cover. :)

WW

Post by WW »

What would possess you to think they'd make two different covers?

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Hey it could happen! the Sonic 360 covers are kinda different, the US cover has Sonic with a fist and the Japanese has his hand open. 0_o

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

WW wrote:What would possess you to think they'd make two different covers?
Perhaps the fact that it happens all the time? It's very rare that the covers for every region are the same across the world.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

The problem (as far as I can tell, anyway) is that when the thing is in standby mode, the internal fans aren't running. However it's still using something inside to do all this online business, and whatever it is using gets REALLY hot without the fans going.
I don't know for sure about this, but I heard that it generates about the same amount of heat as a cable/DSL modem or a router, and those don't have fans at all! I forget where I heard this though so I guess I'd be a little suspicious, but that's how I keep from worrying.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

SegaSonic wrote:Secret Rings box art.

Is it me or is this box art awesome?
Very eh to me. Like SH above, it's okay, but I could do without the goofy grin on his face.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

G.Silver wrote:I don't know for sure about this, but I heard that it generates about the same amount of heat as a cable/DSL modem or a router, and those don't have fans at all! I forget where I heard this though so I guess I'd be a little suspicious, but that's how I keep from worrying.
It is a comprable amount of heat. It's a bit warmer than those things, but not a LOT warmer.

The problem, of course, is that your router is just a router... it isn't full hardware or game discs or memory cards or other things that aren't as resistent to heat as the router itself.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

<a href="http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php ... pb">Sega's Virtual Console line-up</a>.

In other news, <i>Gunstar Heroes</i> comes out tomorrow. <b><i><u>You will buy it.</u></i></b> End of discussion.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Am I the only one who looks at the cover to Sonic SR and hears "Heart's On Fire" playing?

Seriously though, that is a stupid name. Considering the fire thing, you'd think they could change it to some name that has something to do with fire. "Sonic Brushfire"? "Sonic Firestorm"? "Sonic's Flaming Feet"? "Sonic Heartburn"? "Sonic Acid Reflux"?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The name is kinda dorky, all right. Love the boxart, though, even if the rounded fingers do look a little peculiar. Sonic Team seems to have finally remembered how to make decent looking rendered cover-art, if this and Sonic 360 were any indication.

They probably put the ring on his middle finger to avoid making it look like Sonic just got married or engaged.

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

Zeta wrote:Sonic Firestorm
That would be a bitchin' band name.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

How does Secret Rings play anyway? Every video I've seen of it just looks like an on rail type game, which I think looks quite boring. Everyone seems to think its quite a bit of fun to play though, so am I missing something?

KitsuneDarkStalker

Post by KitsuneDarkStalker »

If the on-rails gameplay can deliver an experience that is more memorable and fun than the semi-linear 3D highways of Sonic's past, then I won't care about the limited choices in interactivity.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Esrever wrote:They probably put the ring on his middle finger to avoid making it look like Sonic just got married or engaged.
They could also try not putting one on any finger and choosing a less cheesy and ridiculous-looking place or way to flaunt new bling.
If the on-rails gameplay can deliver an experience that is more memorable and fun than the semi-linear 3D highways of Sonic's past, then I won't care about the limited choices in interactivity.
1) Oxymoron alert
2) I bet you think Sonic Rush is to be held amongst the caliber of the Genesis games too?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Where would you prefer he wear the ring, man? On his cock?

And there have been lots of great on rails games. (Not that this is guaranteed to be one of them.)

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Like pretty much any <i>Panzer Dragoon</i> game (barring <i>Saga</i> since it's an RPG)? I mean, sure, <i>Zwei</i> had alternate paths galore, but it was still on-rails.

WW

Post by WW »

Star fox for the SNES and N64 was pretty much on rails, and both games are still fun to this very day.