Online Game Rental Services

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
CE

Online Game Rental Services

Post by CE »

I'm talking about Gamefly, GameLender, GotaPlay, and the lot. I just found out about this while browsing through my spam today (egads! useful information in spam!), and I'm thinking about starting to use one of them -- probably GameLender since it actually has some of the older systems (Dreamcast and Genesis!!!) as well as the best price.

Has anyone here used these services? I'm worried about long wait times and the games coming in bad condition. I'd hate to pay a monthly fee just to find that it takes a week to get my next game, and then to find out it was broken.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Everyone I know that uses Gamefly has been very pleased with the service. I was planning on starting a subscription with them, but there aren't enough games out that I want to play right now to justify it. I have never even heard of any of those other ones.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

I used a dvd rental thing called Screen Select. It worked pretty well, and i got to watch a lot of cool things through it. They are fast and all that. Normally took two days to get a new dvd.

Games however may not be so good, as they are more likely to be flung around in a foolish manner.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I know we use BlockBuster's DVD rental thingy. If it's anything like that (and cheap enough), I might consider such a thing as well, for when I'm in college.

Oh, and Genesis and DC titles in one of these? Sign me up. Can't find ANYTHING like that pretty much ANYWHERE around here, except for eBay...

CE

Post by CE »

It's good to know other people have had good experiences with Gamefly. I'm still trying out GameLender because being able to rent Dreamcast games is just *too* good to turn down.

First game in my list? Shadow the Hedgehog. I have no incentive to buy the game, but I'd sure like to try out its crappiness.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

I signed up for Blockbuster Online awhile back, and while they only rent out movies, I signed up during some special promotion they were running where they give me a two free coupons a month for renting games at a brick-and-mortar Blockbuster. I heard they don't do the game coupon thing anymore with new suscribers.

Twice a month is a good enough for me though; if I really want a game, I'll buy it. I usually only end up renting games I only have a passing interest in.

I haven't rented anything from Gamefly before, but I've bought a shitload of games from their used game store, and they usually send them to me promptly and in excellent condition. Their customer service was really helpful too, so I assume that the quality of service will be the same for their rentals.