Tell me this is a joke.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
idiot

Post by idiot »

The difference between names such as , playstation, and X-Box compared to Wii is that they actually make some sense and sound decent. I mean, look at the name "playstation", and you know what the defenition is. Its logical, makes sense, and sounds cool. I dont know what Gameboy means, but at least it sounds like a gaming system and so does the X-Box. However, if you heard the name Wii, your first reaction would be that it has nothig to do with consoles. If your not a videogamer, and you heard the name Wii, how the fuck is that supposed to make people WANT to play it? In my opinion, if nintendo wanted to attract non-gamers, then it should have picked a logical, simple, COOL name to signify the fact its a console. Nintendo has done this sucessfully before. For example, the DS. It means Dual-screen. A simple yet effective way to attract the mainstrean and yet tells people what it is. The playstation was sort of a mainstream console because it had an attractive, logical, self explanetory name. You know the console is a playing station. It directly tells non-gamers what it is, which is why it was so succesful. Wii, however, sounds like it wants to do directly the opposite: make non-gamers cringe and question WTF

ninttendo says Wii is like google or Tivo. No. Because they mean nothing bad in american slang. Wee, however does, thus the name will not be a "well loved household name". It will only distress people

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I can't really see how the "Xbox" name relates to gaming. It does point out, however, that the box does infact have a big ass X placed on it.
Squirrelknight wrote:I understand that Nintendo's trying to convert all the non-gamers out there, but the only thing they've succeeded in doing so far is alienating the people who already play games. They're trying to appeal to a market that may or may not care about games no matter how different or innovative they are, and by doing so, they're also losing their core audience.
Is that the reason why Nintendo complely stop making Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and other "traditional" games in favor of "non-games" such as Brain Training and Nintendogs?

...oh wait.

Also, it could be argued that their core audience was small to begin with sans for a few notible franchises(Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda). I doubt Fire Emblem:PoR or Chibi-Robo caused GCNs flying off the shelves.

As for the name, I don't really care. All I really care at the moment is seeing Wii finally in action at E3, because screen shots of a game, from a genre I don't really care about isn't enough. The only thing annoying about this announcement are the fanchildren and trolls whining about the new name. I even saw an online petition on begging Nintendo to change the console back to the Revolution. It almost makes me want to run amok on gamers everywhere like a crazed Steve Ballmer carrying a machete.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Despite my initial reaction I am starting to get more used to the name now. It doesn't seem as bad as when I first heard it. That said I still think Nintendo are going to have a tough time marketing the Wii. I did read a good point on another forum though. Whether you like or hate the name it's caused a lot of discussion over the last few days or so. I doubt there would have been this much of a reaction if Nintendo just stuck with the name "Revolution".

idiot

Post by idiot »

The thing about the X-Box though, is that it aknowledges its a box, which is the common shape of a console, so, actually, the X-Box's name makes at least a little bit of sense. It at least makes sense at all, unlike Wii. Im not buying the Wii unless they change the name. The name is simply, intolerably bad. And if we send hatemail to nintendo, maybe theyll change the name. The custormers always right. I wish Wiitendo would see the wiseness of that phrase.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

The thing about the X-Box though, is that it aknowledges its a box, which is the common shape of a console, so, actually, the X-Box's name makes at least a little bit of sense.
The XBox only describles the outer appearance of the game console. The name doesn't tell it's a video game console. But come on, look at names like "Nintendo" or "Sega Genesis" or "Dreamcast". Do they sound like video game console names to you? I don't think so. XBox is just one among many.
It at least makes sense at all, unlike Wii. Im not buying the Wii unless they change the name. The name is simply, intolerably bad.
No offense, but that's a pretty stupid reason not to buy the Wii, just because of a name. I feel awkward around it to, but I'm slowly starting to not care. It hasn't prevented me from wanting to purchase one.
And if we send hatemail to nintendo, maybe theyll change the name. The custormers always right. I wish Wiitendo would see the wiseness of that phrase.
Yea, hatemail. That'll definitly get Nintendo to change the name. Why don't you purposely type it in bad typos and internet lingos while you're at it?

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

idiot wrote:The thing about the X-Box though, is that it aknowledges its a box, which is the common shape of a console, so, actually, the X-Box's name makes at least a little bit of sense. It at least makes sense at all, unlike Wii. Im not buying the Wii unless they change the name. The name is simply, intolerably bad. And if we send hatemail to nintendo, maybe theyll change the name. The custormers always right. I wish Wiitendo would see the wiseness of that phrase.
...wow

Your username is actually quite appropiate in describing yourself.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Haha, I said that same thing in that other thread he started.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I like how he called them "Wiitendo". It was funny.

PBJClock

Post by PBJClock »

Locit wrote:"Wiitendo"
Now that is a cool name!

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Choosing to not buy something based solely on the name is actually valid.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

...if you are shallow.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I could see situations where you might buy something solely on its name. Like a domain name or something. ;) I can't really see it for a game console though.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

No. The only conditional is related to utility gained versus utility lossed in purchasing the product. It has nothing to do whatsoever with the quality of the person, or more accurately the qualities attributed to the person by other observers (qualities which may or may not be true, but don't necessarily follow, and even if they do, it doesn't really matter since "depth" is not in anyway "better" than "shallowness"). In fact I would further argue that fanboyism (or rather seemingly "irrational" or "baseless" reasoning) is a completely legitimate reason to buy a console as long as maximum utility is achieved.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

How would maxium utility be achieved though if you buy a video game console to play video games, and you decide not to buy a game console because it has a dumb name. I could maybe understand fanboyism, because you buy your console to play Nintendo games, and to not give Sony money, or something like that. If you are not buying a game console because you don't like the game, you aren't really doing anything but missing out on what could be a great console.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

chriscaffee wrote:I think the name fits. "Wii" to me doesn't sound like "we" but "whee" as in "We are having fun" which is what it's all about.
After the initial and obvious reaction, this was what I thought Nintendo was getting at. Something whimsical and bizzare, but undeniably entertaining. At least, I'm certainly going to buy one.

As for borrowing Mac's trademark advertising style...well, duh.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Choosing to not buy something based solely on the name is actually valid.

Not in my book it isn't. The name for said game consoles doesn't actually tell what they are and what they can do (as far as I've seen in all the game console names I know), so to me, choosing a console based solely on a name is invalid.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Would you buy a console called Peniscubecuntstation?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Maybe, I know nothing about the console except its name. Tell me more!

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Would you buy a console called Peniscubecuntstation?

Hey, as long as it's a console I want, I'll buy it, regardless of the name.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

How about a console named "NIGGERS AND SPICS HAVE THE BIGGEST DICKS"?

DarkPrime

Post by DarkPrime »

Segaholic2 wrote:How about a console named "NIGGERS AND SPICS HAVE THE BIGGEST DICKS"?
I'd buy it.

Dash

Post by Dash »

What are "Spics"?

I'm starting to like the name really. It tends to makes me think of some Queen songs.

"Wii are the champions, my friends. And Wii'll keep on fighting to the end."

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Spic is a derogatory name for Mexicans I think. I don't know where it came from though.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Light Speed wrote:How would maxium utility be achieved though if you buy a video game console to play video games, and you decide not to buy a game console because it has a dumb name. I could maybe understand fanboyism, because you buy your console to play Nintendo games, and to not give Sony money, or something like that. If you are not buying a game console because you don't like the game, you aren't really doing anything but missing out on what could be a great console.
You could be buying it purely for the image.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Light Speed wrote:Spic is a derogatory name for Mexicans I think. I don't know where it came from though.
Hispanics.