New Super Mario Bros.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

How petty.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

petty like tom

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I don't understand what's happening.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

The Headless Mule bewitched the word n-e-o. Or it's just Tsui pulling a prank.

The T

Post by The T »

What about Neo?

More on the topic, why not set the word filter to be "~Neo" instead of just "Neo"?

EDIT: And by that I mean... er, shit. You figure it out.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

You can just hit preview message to see what words trigger the N_eo filter.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

This has some humorous potential. 'holic should change other words without telling us, like Shadow the Hedgehog or boobies.

Also, I noticed that these changes are retroactive.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Sheesh come on y'all act like you've never seen a word filter in use before.

I once filtered an entire forum into transformers the movie quotes, now that's true comedy potential

PBJClock

Post by PBJClock »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote: Speaking of Mario titles on the DS, anyone played Super Princess Peach yet?
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/925562.asp
...and no

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I demand PERSONAL opinions, not game magazines.

James McGeachie

I demand PERSONAL opinions, not game magazines.
The opinions I've seen of the game have been far more negative than the review scores, the game is just too simplistic and easy apparently.

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I thought that just from looking at it. Neat concept, not so neat to probably play, was my first opinion.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

"Creative bankruptcy" was my first impression from looking at it.

Tsuyoshi-kun

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

At least it's not another Mario Party or Mario Kart game.

James McGeachie

Bit of an annoying comment on this game from Tezuka, apparently from Nintendo power or something like that.
When developing this game, I really had the original Super Mario Bros. in mind. After that game, Mario evolved, of course, but it eventually became more difficult and suited more toward hard-core gamers. That wasn't the intention, but that's how the series naturally evolved. I didn't want to continue in that direction. That's not to say this game isn't for hard-core players, but I want to recapture the spirit of the original Super Mario Bros
In other words it sounds like the game will be fairly simplified and going by the comments, likely on the easy side. Not exactly what I was hoping for but expected ever since the early screens and footage gave off feeling more like the original game than the sequels.

You can read the whole interview below. There's a few other interesting points. Firstly, the main composer of the game will be the same person from Yoshi's Touch and Go (with Kondo only doing a few tracks) although I've never played that title so I'm not sure what you can gather from that. Another thing is that to turn into the giant Mario you'll need to collect 3 of a special kind of mushroom, as opposed to just one from how it looked in the footage. A more interesting point (in my opinion) though is that apparently you wont be able to save between levels, only after each world, which seems to make it more unlikely there's a world map to me, but at this point that seems almost like a definite no anyway.

blah http://mfgg.taloncrossing.com/index.php?showtopic=88935

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Buh? He's got it backwards. I'd say that, along with the Japan-only SMB2, SMB1 is the hardest of the classic series by far.

Looking at the rest of the interview, it's interesting that the game isn't going to use voice samples. Can't say I'm against it. The classic sound effects are enough to satisfy me.

He says the soundtrack is mostly new arrangements of classic Mario tracks, in which case it shouldn't matter too much who the composer is.

And this guy <i>produced</i> Yoshi's Island? That's a hell of a credential as far as I'm concerned. My optimism is undeterred.

James McGeachie

Kishi wrote:Buh? He's got it backwards. I'd say that, along with the Japan-only SMB2, SMB1 is the hardest of the classic series by far.
I think he means it more in the way that the original SMB was far more simple gameplay wise, where as the sequels introduced more complicated elements casual gamers, such as those attracted to Nintendo for easy to play titles such as Mario Brothers and Tetris, might've been turned off by. In that respect, they could be seen as more difficult to understand for someone who never usually games.

Takashi Tezuka's credentials go far beyond simply producing Yoshi's Island by the way, he also directed it, Super Mario World and Link to the Past. He's been working on Mario titles since the original SMB too. I've heard him described as Miyamoto's "right hand man" before as well. Simply put, he's without a doubt the best man to lead the project, but I am slightly concerned if the rest of the team are up to the job or not.
Last edited by James McGeachie on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Maybe he means simple in design rather than difficulty. SMB1 is pretty straightforward compared to the other Marios. More action rather than exploration.

Edit: What James said. :P

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The fact that we're getting new powerups -- the massive-mario mushroom and the blue shell, with more promised -- makes me skeptical that this game could really be completely about going back to the stripped-back formula of the original.

I also find it kind of hard to believe that he'd attack his own work, sniping the series for getting "too complicated" with the titles he produced or directed. When he refers to the series becoming more for hardcore gamers, I wonder if he's thinking of games like Mario Sunshine? It's not hard to beat, but it's excrutiating to get 100%.
Last edited by Esrever on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Meh, I had enough trouble with Super Mario 3. I can't possibly beat it without quick saves; it's too long and exceedingly difficult.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

jenkins wrote:Meh, I had enough trouble with Super Mario 3. I can't possibly beat it without quick saves; it's too long and exceedingly difficult.
HEY, LOOK EVERYONE!

JENKINS HAS A VAGINA!

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Kishi wrote:Looking at the rest of the interview, it's interesting that the game isn't going to use voice samples. Can't say I'm against it. The classic sound effects are enough to satisfy me.
Wow, a good design choice! Too bad they still have those ugly bland 3D models.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

James McGeachie wrote: A more interesting point (in my opinion) though is that apparently you wont be able to save between levels, only after each world, which seems to make it more unlikely there's a world map to me, but at this point that seems almost like a definite no anyway.
I'm probably incorrect with the following response due to it being years since I've played the following game, but wasn't that the same case with Super Mario Brothers 3 for the NES?

The T

Post by The T »

Ngangbius wrote:
James McGeachie wrote: A more interesting point (in my opinion) though is that apparently you wont be able to save between levels, only after each world, which seems to make it more unlikely there's a world map to me, but at this point that seems almost like a definite no anyway.
I'm probably incorrect with the following response due to it being years since I've played the following game, but wasn't that the same case with Super Mario Brothers 3 for the NES?
You couldn't save at all in SMB3. It was on the NES.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

You could save Zelda and that was on the NES.