References to old games in new games

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Mouthfullofjoy

References to old games in new games

Post by Mouthfullofjoy »

:lol: i dont know how to word it but this topic deals with references to old games in new games such as in mario kart ds there are homages to old games like deset land,the sprites etc well this is about sonic so name some throwbacks to past games in new games

i'll get us started....in shadow the hedgehog there are red and white bumpers from sonic 3

Seymour

Post by Seymour »

In Shadow the Hedgehog it features guns and swords which have been in every Sonic game to date and a fan favorite.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I liked the angry sun in the desert level of MK:DS, I was happy with all the SMB3 references in the game. Now if only they'd bring back Kuribo's shoe for a new Mario platformer.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Final Fantasy IX is a treasure trove of references to previous Final Fantasies and other Square games.
~Neo

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

The new Sonic games have rings in them.

The T

Post by The T »

I think Sonic is in alot of the new Sonic games. He's not really always playable though.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Not a reference to a game as much as it is to an infamous peripheral, but in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, you can get the Power Glove as a weapon. Yes, <i>that</i> Power Glove. It looks exactly the same as the real article, but it's called the "Force Glove" for copyright reasons. Its description: "Gauntlets created from an unknown metal and dark powers; so strong they may damage the user's arms."

And if that weren't enough, the fingers of the glove are fixed in <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_horns">the horns</a>. ROCK THE CASTLE.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Nintendo has it's head jammed firmly up it's own nostalgic derrier at the moment so it's games are always stuffed with back references. Paper Mario had that cool hidden bit where you turned into an original NES sprite, not to mention the Bowser levels where you literally plow through the first Super Mario Bros. stages.

Uh... trying to think of a non-Nintendo game... Z's store in GTA: San Andreas sells Vice City action figures.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

In F-Zero GX the character Steve McCloud and his craft are based on Fox Mcloud in Starfox, down to the clothes, hair and headgear.
Also one of the craft is made by a company called Famitsu and
Mr. EAD has a starman on his belt.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Also, Sonic Advance 2 has the original game's Scrap Brain Zone theme music in the options, while Sonic Adventure has Sonic 3D's Green Grove tune on that windy level and Panic Puppet's tune on the bumper car race bit.

Edit: Maybe it's Sonic Advance 1's options screen. Can't remember right at the moment.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I ran across Ehrgeiz for Playstation. It's got FFVII characters as fighters. Unsurprisingly, from the little I've played, it's not that great.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

''Knuckles, don’t tell me you let Eggman trick you again!''

One of the few actuall references to the events in the Mega Drive games.

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

There's a reference to Driver and True Crime in GTA Vice City, two people you have to kill in a hitman mission are named similar to the lead characters in the other titles.

Driver 3 references Vice City featuring 'special packages' in the shape of Tommy wearing water wings, poking fun at his inability to swim.

Also in MGS 3, Snake asks why Sam can't do the Monkey missions, referring to Mr Fisher from Splinter Cell.

highwaystar

Post by highwaystar »

Sonic Heroes

Knuckles in Frog Forest: "We have jungle mushrooms on my island too. But not this big."

A reference to Mushroom Hill.

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

"Julius Mode" in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is practically one huge throwback to Castlevania 3 with it's multi-character tag-teaming set up. Julius, as your standard Belmont, comes equipped with the whip and has the various classic sub weapons at his disposal. (The following contains possible spoilers.) Yoko plays the same as her ancestor, Sypha, and while physically weaker than the other characters can incflict great amounts of damage on enemies with her devastating magic. And Alucard, of course, has the same abilities he had in Castlevania 3, with a couple of abilities from Symphony of the Night thrown in for good measure. Unfortunately there's no Grant clone so that kind of throws off the whole "Castlevania 3 meets Metroidvania" feel.

Also one of the areas of the castle has Vampire Killer as the background music.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Apparently this game Baito Hell features minigames starring two characters who are blatant Mario and Luigi clones. The thing that's awesome about it is that it's not a Nintendo game. :D
Last edited by G.Silver on Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Best zone music in the best Sonic game on Game Gear: Sonic Chaos's Mecha Green Hill Zone was a reference to some earlier level or other.

Hear there's something similar in Sonic Adventure 2, but I never got all A-ranks.

Samface
Now Playing: Professor Layton and Pandora's Box, Enslaved

Post by Samface »

Dunjohn wrote:Best zone music in the best Sonic game on Game Gear: Sonic Chaos's Mecha Green Hill Zone was a reference to some earlier level or other.
Green Hills from 8-bit Sonic 2. Which in turn was based off one of the Sonic CD songs, can't remember which though...

Although since 2 was before CD, I guess that'd be the other way round. CONFUZZLEMENT

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

It was Toot Toot Sonic Warrior.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

When you buy Mario themed items in Animal Crossing, they make classic game sounds when you touch them.

In Metal Gear Solid 2, one of the collars you find has the name Kaori Yae on it, a reference to Japan-only dating sim Tokimeki Memorial 2.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I seem to recall the Japanese Tokimemo fans not appreciating the presence of the female cast's names on soldiers' dog tags at all. Something about it being a vulgar usage of their fictional darling sweethearts someday we'll be happy together you'll see

WhoopA

Post by WhoopA »

Frieza2000 wrote:It was Toot Toot Sonic Warrior.
You Can Do Anything.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Kishi wrote:I seem to recall the Japanese Tokimemo fans not appreciating the presence of the female cast's names on soldiers' dog tags at all. Something about it being a vulgar usage of their fictional darling sweethearts someday we'll be happy together you'll see
I'm on a ML with Japanese TokiMemo fans, and they were actually happy to see the references. Of course, it came out right before TokiMemo more or less went into hibernation for three years, with Girls Side the only game to emerge during that time (most fans try to ignore the existance of TokiMemo 3 that came out in Japan around the same time as Metal Gear Solid 2).

Kishi

Post by Kishi »