DS Reccomendations?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

DS Reccomendations?

Post by Zeta »

Might end up getting a DS for Christmas. What would be good games to get for it? Off the top of my head, I was considering:

Mario Kart, Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, Snowboard Kids, Mario 64, Sonic Rush, Viewtiful Joe, Kirby, Lost in Blue, or Meteos.

Any input or opinions on which one I should keep my eyes out for?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Phoenix Wright?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Kirby all the way.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Don't know about any of those others, but you do not want Meteos.

I'm curious to hear thoughts on Lost in Blue, though, if anyone's played it, and also Another Code.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

About Meteos, Zeta should at least rent it. He could be in the camp that either like it or not.

When I get a DS, I really want to try Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan! even if I do need to import it. I heard some awesome things about it.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Buy at any price:

Mario Kart DS
Tony Hawk: American Sk8land
Sonic Rush
Pac 'N Roll
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Kirby Canvas Curse
Mario & Luigi 2

Buy if you can get them cheap:

Yoshi Touch and Go!
Dig Dug: Digging Strike
Puyo Pop Fever [better if you have friends with DSes]

Also buy these GBA games:

Castlevania Double Pack
Wario Ware Twisted
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

If you can get cheap:

DK: King of Swing

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

No endorsement for Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Rlan?

Wait...
Castlevania Double Pack
What's this?

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

^ It's one of those GBA double-pack things that contains both Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow. Kinda like the Sonic Advance/Pinball pack.

Out of the DS games I've played, Mario Kart is probably the best bet. Mario 64 is fine if you can acclimate yourself to the controls, and I thought Meteos was pretty addictive, but that's one of those games you either love or hate.

Get Nintendogs if it's cheap (or free, in my case ^^)... It's a fun game and it shows off what your DS can do, but just like a real dog, you'll grow tired of it after 2 weeks. There's just not much to do after you teach your dog all the tricks it needs to get through the competitions.

Oh yeah, and Jump Superstars. It's like Smash Bros. But with anime characters. Just thinking about that game gives me a boner.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Ngangbius wrote:No endorsement for Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Rlan?
I haven't played that game yet. But then, I haven't played ANY castlevania game. I plan to pick up the Double-Pack eventually, and if Zeta hasn't played Castlevania before, the 2-Pack is much better value, now at least. With all the good games ocming out for the DS, Castlevania would get lost in it all.

I forgot to mention Mario 64 DS. It is also awesome.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I played several hours into Lost in Blue a couple months ago when it first came out. I've stopped since then because of schoolwork, but it is pretty fun. It's sort of like Harvest Moon miniature, the survival element is a bit more repetitive than it could have been, and so far the path through the game seems pretty linear, even though they say there's multiple endings depending on your relationship and how you get off...

Anyways, it's decent fun if the concept interests you. There's not much I can say.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Castlevania DS is the first game in the series I ever played (I know, shame on me). 40+ hours later, I'm still not bored with it and it convinced me to hunt down a copy of Symphony of the Night. So get it.

Also, Mario Kart is pretty good. Anyone else have it and want to be on my friends list?

Paracelsus
Now Playing: The Dagger of Amon-Ra

Post by Paracelsus »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I'm curious to hear thoughts on Lost in Blue, though, if anyone's played it, and also Another Code.
Another Code's alright, however it's short, pretty easy and doesn't have much replay value, though I guess it might take a couple of goes to find absolutely everything. As such though, it's probaly only worth it if you can find it cheap.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Mario 64 is awful on the DS. Terrible controls.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

The minigames are pretty good though.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Segaholic2 wrote:Also, Mario Kart is pretty good. Anyone else have it and want to be on my friends list?
Yes! My code is:

472506 184320

What's yours? Anyone else here with the game?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

214807 851166

To everyone else, if you want to play me I have to add you to my friend list as well, so PM or IM me or whatever.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Also Zeta, if you are planning on getting Mario Kart DS you might as well get the bundle and save yourself $10. Besides red > gray.

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Don't know about any of those others, but you do not want Meteos.
What the crap? Why not? Meteos is just Tetris Attack on its side. Are you dissing Tetris Attack?

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Meteos is somewhat like Tetris Attack(the best puzzle game of all time)? That's all the more reason for me to get Meteos in the future. =D

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I thought Meteos was a rather decent game. It wasn't quite on par with Lumines, but then not much is. Gibbons' rants are fibs and libel.

Also, I was unaware that Snowboard Kids had made a DS appearance.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, but they changed the characters from adorable, quirky, big-nosed freaks into generic anime characters.

And they changed the fat-boy into a lookalike of Spike from Ape Escape. My chubby chaser boyfriend is going to be pissed off.

Anyways, looks like I'm getting the Mario Kart bundle if I can find it (DS with super cool hot rod flames! Or bunnies! Or flaming bunnies!) and problably something else, but I still haven't decided for sure what yet.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Foster's reference for the win!

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Zeta wrote:Yeah, but they changed the characters from adorable, quirky, big-nosed freaks into generic anime characters.
I hate that they did that to one of my favorite N64 games. Reminds me of what happened to poor Goemon.

Though if I recall, the PlayStation version also made them look like generic anime characters..

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Green Gibbon! wrote: I'm curious to hear thoughts on Lost in Blue, though, if anyone's played it, and also Another Code.
I just finished playing Another Code and I really enjoyed it. The game is a revival of the point and click genre, which is a game play style that I personally dislike, but Another Code has a unique charm that comes from the way it utilises the features of the DS for its puzzles.

Point and click puzzles are notorious for the frustration they cause, as they often require the player to apply obscure logic patterns that only really make sense to the game designer. With Another Code, everything needed to solve a puzzle is built into the DS. Although, the initial puzzles are rather gimmicky and simplistic, the majority have a fair amount of depth and use the handheld in ways that are genuinely surprising. This makes it hard to talk about the puzzles without spoiling them, as the surprise created is the main reason for playing. The game certainly won’t disappoint anyone wishing to fully experience the unique features of the system. However, while the puzzles are innovative, they still depend on the game story to link them together, which suggests that the DS holds more potential for reinventing existing play experiences as opposed to creating new ones.

The game also has beautiful artwork and an absorbing storyline. Unfortunately, with less than 4 hours of game play time and a slightly frustrating final level, I'd agree with Paracelsus and only recommend it if you can find it cheap (unless, of course, money isn’t a issue).

^_^

shadowspast

Post by shadowspast »

or what about trauma cener?