This is new to me...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

This is new to me...

Post by j-man »

Now, I like to think I know a fair bit about Soul Calibur, having 100%-completed it and all...so who the fuck is that?

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Ohh, thats a character from the Korean version i think. They turned Mitsurugi into a Pirate or something. Something to do with korean sensitivities.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

That is cool.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Arthur was made to replace Mitsurugi in countries where depictions of Samurai are illegal.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I was not aware there were any such countries. Do they... do they realize that there are no more samurai?

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

What kind of a pirate's name is Arthur? I mean COME ON.

DarkPrime

Post by DarkPrime »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I was not aware there were any such countries. Do they... do they realize that there are no more samurai?
There are still samurai, just not in the traditional sense. There are still many people who follow the ways of Bushido and consider themselves to be samurai.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Arthur was made to replace Mitsurugi in countries where depictions of Samurai are illegal.
Wait, what? You serious? Geez, I mean, I know there are still many Koreans (usually old farts) that hate the Japanese with all their hearts, but sheesh. But then again, the question I want to know is why is it illegal anyways?
~Neo

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

There are still samurai, just not in the traditional sense. There are still many people who follow the ways of Bushido and consider themselves to be samurai
That doesn't mean they have to deny their existance completely. I mean, it's not like the ruling class of Japan was composed of pirates for centuries.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Arrr!

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Thurr!

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Shiver me timbers! It's ye cap'n!!

DarkPrime

Post by DarkPrime »

Locit wrote:
There are still samurai, just not in the traditional sense. There are still many people who follow the ways of Bushido and consider themselves to be samurai
That doesn't mean they have to deny their existance completely. I mean, it's not like the ruling class of Japan was composed of pirates for centuries.
I agree with you. I was just countering the claim that GG! made about there being no more samurai.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Esrever wrote:Arrr!
Omni Hunter wrote:Thurr!
This wins the Internet.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Neo Yi wrote:
Wait, what? You serious? Geez, I mean, I know there are still many Koreans (usually old farts) that hate the Japanese with all their hearts, but sheesh. But then again, the question I want to know is why is it illegal anyways?
~Neo
There's still a lot of hatred in Asian countries targeted towards Japan. I believe there have been massive rallies and protests throughout Korea, China, and other countries over Japan being allowed onto the U.N. Security Council.

But then again, given Japan's appauling behavior during World War 2 and their refusal to apologize for any of it, it's understandable that there's some animosity there.

That said, I wonder why images of Samurai are banned and not of WW2 era Japanese soldiers. I wonder if Ninja are illegal too?

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I guess ninja are allowed if they didn't change Taki into Kim the Korean Nationalist.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

There's still a lot of hatred in Asian countries targeted towards Japan. I believe there have been massive rallies and protests throughout Korea, China, and other countries over Japan being allowed onto the U.N. Security Council.

But then again, given Japan's appauling behavior during World War 2 and their refusal to apologize for any of it, it's understandable that there's some animosity there.

I figure as much. There was a time when my parents, while not as agressive as it sounds, had some rather choice words for Japanese (they don't do it anymore as far as I'm concerned. If that was the case, I doubt my sister would have been sent to Japan last summer). Choice words on mainly how the Japanese "stole" many of korean cultures from us when it's really the opposite way around. They made me try to believe it and all and I did, but that's because I was like 7. I know better now.
~Neo

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

DarkPrime wrote:
Green Gibbon! wrote:I was not aware there were any such countries. Do they... do they realize that there are no more samurai?
There are still samurai, just not in the traditional sense. There are still many people who follow the ways of Bushido and consider themselves to be samurai.
Like that guy at IMDB who made a big stink about how much a disgrace Kill Bill was to his way of life?

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Weren't samurai a class so their descendents would still be "samurai" technically? As I understood it, it was more of a rank then anything else, so while they may not be carrying katanas, they can still exist.

DarkPrime

Post by DarkPrime »

chriscaffee wrote:Weren't samurai a class so their descendents would still be "samurai" technically? As I understood it, it was more of a rank then anything else, so while they may not be carrying katanas, they can still exist.
It's not a matter of if they can still exist, they do still exist. Just not as people may think of them. Just like ninja still exist. I was taking ninjutsu, until recently, from an instructor taught by Masaki Hatsumi

You are probably right about the rank being hereditary as a former Aikido instructor of mine told me he was a samurai because his great-grandfather was.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

There are still many people who follow the ways of Bushido and consider themselves to be samurai.
But they're not. I can also study ninjutsu, but it doesn't make me a ninja.

Furthermore, the actual samurai that did once exist before the fuedal system that supported the class was abolished, like, a hundred and fifty years ago - didn't look a damn thing like Mitsurugi. Just like ninjas didn't look like Taki.

Boy, wouldn't it have been fucking awesome if real ninjas looked like Taki?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Actually, while we're on the subject, did anyone ever hack Soul Calibur 2 and make naked Taki? It would be a piece of cake, because all you'd need to do is change her texture map and boom, instant boobies. I would've imagined somebody'd have done it by now, on the Xbox at least, but I don't remember stumbling across any such thing.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Through the magic of imagination, Taki can be naked anytime.

And I never really liked Taki. I prefer Xianghua myself.

The Scarlet Scorpion

Post by The Scarlet Scorpion »

Ah, yes, that idea. I remember, GG!, that you mentioned that back around 2001 on the previous board several times, including in a thread devoted to the top ten sexiest women in videogames (which was itself done in response to a similar list in a video game magazine which you were disgusted with, as they listed Lara Croft at number one. Not that you liked that particular magazine much beforehand, though).

I also remember hearing about a bootleg version of "Dead or Alive 2" for the Dreamcast where all of the women were naked, which prompted Tecmo to file a lawsuit against said knock-offs' manufacturers. Sadly however, I've still yet to see any actual pictures from said pirated game.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

And I never really liked Taki. I prefer Xianghua myself.
Well, Xianghua's probably my #2 favorite. It would be Ivy, except I think her chin's too square.

There was some kind of GameShark code or glitch or something you could use to make Kasumi naked in the Cast version of DoA2, though I don't remember hearing about any full-blown bootleg version.

Tecmo is, however, abnormally protective of their shit. I remember when the DoAX nude hack showed up and they tried to get all the sites to take down the images. It was high comedy.