JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

My other one was stupid. It looked cool, but the horse was all wrong.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Gwilym wrote:If you're using IE
I don't understand why people are still using IE. I mean, yeah, it comes with the computer (it still does, right? I haven't used Windows in a while) but you only need to be on the internet for, like, a day to find out there are better options.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I still haven't found a compeling reason not to use IE.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

It's ass?

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Seems to fulfill my needs without any problems. I've never said "Man, I wish IE did 'x.'" So I don't see how using another browser is going to improve my quality of life.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

So tell me Topher, is ignorance as blissful as they say?

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Instead of posting one liners, you could try to actually convince me to switch browsers by rattling off some exciting features that I'm missing out on.

Gwilym

Post by Gwilym »

You're missing out on tabs, PNG support, invulnerability to ridiculous and malicious scripts and programs designed specifically for IE, proper rendering of code, compliance with web standards such as CSS and XHTML, built in popup blockers...

And of course, it's as ugly as a tramp who's been beaten with an iron.
And the alternatives are free and actually update when there's a problem.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Well, given my circumstances, most of those points are or seem moot. The only two that aren't ("tabs" and transparencies for an image format no one uses) aren't really that compeling. Unless it has like a media player incorporated into the browser, I'm not really interested in switching.

Or maybe I'm just being difficult because everyone I've met that supports Mozilla pretends it's the Second Coming. Our CSE professor was talking about how great it was one lecture and then this kid - in a lecture of like 200 - singles himself out and starts talking about how IE "sucks" and went on and on for at least three minutes about how Mozilla cures cancer, feeds the starving and is The Way, The Truth and The Light.

I can't be associated with that type of person.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

PNGs aren't a format that "no one uses"; its popularity is exploding thanks to people finally switching off the godless hell that is IE. It's really a great image format as it's far superior to GIFs in pretty much every way but animation, but I'm sure you already knew that.

If not, then <A HREF="http://www.r1ch.net/img-formats/">educate yourself</A>.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

chriscaffee wrote:Unless it has like a media player incorporated into the browser, I'm not really interested in switching.
Firefox covers that too. But really, you can't expect Mozilla to stop poverty, cure AID's and bring about world peace before they kick IE's posterior down the stairs then right back up. No silly, those things are coming in the next update.

Ash Holt

Post by Ash Holt »

Segaholic2 wrote:PNGs aren't a format that "no one uses"; its popularity is exploding thanks to people finally switching off the godless hell that is IE. It's really a great image format as it's far superior to GIFs in pretty much every way but animation, but I'm sure you already knew that.

If not, then <A HREF="http://www.r1ch.net/img-formats/">educate yourself</A>.
There are a couple of animated PNG formats under development, aren't there? There will be no really good reason to use GIF for shit after that.
Last edited by Ash Holt on Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Chris, I don't care if you use FireFox or not, but for your sake please just try some other web browser. None of them will overwrite IE, and they won't even attempt to replace IE if you don't want them to. Just install it and give it a go and see how you like it. You can always just uninstall them if you don't like it.

FireFox and Opera are two of the more popular third-party browsers.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

None of that refutes the fact that PNGs are in fact a format that is rarely used. The rate of acceptance of this file format is obviously not analogous with it's current useage. And when did I ever imply that PNGs weren't a good format? I did use it for my avatar afterall, which was a bitmap.

Meh, I'll give it a shot.

Edit: Well I gave it a shot. The only reason was so I can have my iTunes in my browser. I still feel dirty though.

Ash Holt

Post by Ash Holt »

What I don't get is why MS are holding off on fixing PNG and CSS support for IE7 instead of just patching IE6 now.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

chriscaffee wrote: Edit: Well I gave it a shot. The only reason was so I can have my iTunes in my browser. I still feel dirty though.
Chris has gone and used my logic. OH NOZ

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Aside from all the technical stuff, Chris, I'll just say "Tabs". Sure, you don't think they're useful - everybody I know (including me) who hadn't tried them before didn't think they'd be of any use. But then you use them, and you never want to go back.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

You're a little late to the party, SS.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

It's not my fault I go to sleep at a normal hour (1:30am... central).

Grant

Post by Grant »

Yes it is.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

There can be no other explanation.