Fun for Me and You (nws?)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

This thread is a little low on Cataphract.

Knuckles Dawson
Blah Blah Blah

Post by Knuckles Dawson »

You drew that? Shit, dude, that's killer.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

That bot looks like it was taken straight out of the Battletech/Mechwarrior games. Is it?

Knuckles Dawson
Blah Blah Blah

I believe he's more along the lines of VO:OT and Gundam than Mechwarrior, but I'm sure all have had some, if only minor, influences.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Knuckles Dawson
Blah Blah Blah

*shrug* Whatever. The only exposure to Gundam I've had is the Demo on a DCM Disc.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

That game is actually pretty cool. It's one of my favorites. I don't really follow the series much but the new shows portray the Gundams as robot versions of DBZ people. But, Rise From the Ashes is awesome, it plays like a MechWarrior game, has awesome graphics, solid music and pretty decent VAs. The variety of weapons and GMs are a bit slim (3 in the game, plus a special suped up one you get to use for the last level only) but just about everything else makes up for it. Too bad it's only 9 (10?) missions long.

Knuckles Dawson
Blah Blah Blah

I thought it was a really cool game, so that's my impression of Gundam, not some DBZ/Power Ranger anime on crack.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

The 08th MS Team OAV series is the anime closest to that particular game, it's got an emphasis on details and believability (as far as any Gundam show is likely to go, anyway). It's recomended!

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

G.Silver wrote:The 08th MS Team OAV series is the anime closest to that particular game, it's got an emphasis on details and believability (as far as any Gundam show is likely to go, anyway). It's recomended!
...But is Gundam collectively as a show any good? I'm afraid the closest thing I've seen to a mecha anime is Evangelion, and considering the very little emphasis on the mech battles, I want to see one that has a good deal of robot action but an intelligent plot to go with it.

Knuckles Dawson
Blah Blah Blah

Thanks, Silv. I'll look into it when I get the chance

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

is Gundam collectively as a show any good?
"Collectively" Gundam is not "a show." Gundam is a property associated with a lot of shows that are not really linked together by anything except a popular line of model kits and toys. :) At the top-most level you've got your division between "Universal Century" and "Alternate(?) Century." UC shows include the original TV series and all the other shows and OVAs that are direct sequels to it. AC shows are all unrelated to anything, the only similarity is that the hero mecha share similar heads (even the made up technology is different). Gundam SEED is the only exception, it has a direct followup series currently running. UC shows are all linked together by certain characters and events, but thematically they are all quite different and while fans are generally split into two camps (UC-elitists and everybody else--UC is the SegaSonic of Gundam) even in the UC line, liking one show does not mean you will like the others. AC in particular tends to be trendier and tries out different things--G Gundam is a kung fu robot "fight of the day" show, Gundam Wing is a bishonen political drama, G-Savior is a movie filmed in Canada, etc. The latest, Gundam SEED, is a "reinvention" of the original series combined with the shinier mecha and prettier boys that made Gundam Wing a success, and it's worked very well to that end. A lot of UC elitist-types hate it, and not everyone is going to like it, but it is a pretty good show that deserves its popularity in my opinion.

The UC series does hold together somewhat coherantly, and is characterized by consistant (and advancing) technology, but always tries to stay somewhat grounded in vague sci-fi realism. It's not the most realistic mech show out there of course, but it is fairly "smart," treating the subject matter as realistically as possible if you accept the fact that for whatever reasons giant space robots are feasible weapons. In a UC show, Gundam is a prototype machine given performance above the previous generation (and typically the production versions as well) but is not invincible (though combined with something ridiculous like "Newtype" pilots and they pretty much are anyway). At any rate, it's (typically) nothing like Wing or SEED, the battles are usually on a smaller scale and do not involve a single machine destroying entire armies of fodder mecha. Typically.

You don't need to know any background from any other Gundams to enjoy 08th MS Team, though it does put the war into some context that will be appreciated by fans of the original TV series. There's no need to consider Gundam as a whole.

I also recomend Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, another OVA (set in the UC timeline) with little connection to anything else. It's a different take on the mecha theme, and still takes itself fairly seriously (and intelligently) despite being pretty light-hearted at times.

Getting away from Gundam, Macross Plus is THE Macross to watch if you want a good mecha anime--the story is basically "Top Gun with transforming planes" and is really, really good. My anime club would show it every now and then and people would walk in from the hallways to check it out. People who "do not like anime" like Macross Plus--it's like Miyazaki or Lupin the 3rd. I consider FLCL to be a mecha anime, and it's must see whether you agree with me or not. Dai-Guard is an often-overlooked anime about an insurance company that uses a giant robot to prevent disasters (so it doesn't have to pay insurance claims) and while pretty silly at times ("Even a salaryman can protect the peace!") and decidedly "monster of the day" anime (a lot of Eva influence in the enemies as well), it's well-done and fairly smart. There's also the ever-lovable The Big O, mixing cheesey robot design with Batman: the Animated Series-inspired scenereo, which is a winning combination in my book. On a similar note, there's also Giant Robo, a vaguely "retro" robot anime (primarily in its character and mecha designs) that is considered by many to be a modern classic, but it also takes itself too seriously. I still like it though.

My current favorite is Overman King Gainer, a show featuring a robot with mechanical dreadlocks than enable it to fly around. I'm not even kidding. It's a charming show from the creator of the original Gundam. If you liked Eva, you can take a look at RahXephon or Sokkyuu no Fafnir--calling them Eva ripoffs is not something anyone who actually enjoyed any of those series would do, but the influence is very obvious. On the other hand, Dual! IS an Eva-ripoff, minus the angst and considerably lighter-hearted. The Eva influence is so significant that it borders on parody, but not quite. Vandread is quite likable if only for its overwhelming cast of female characters. The second season is much better than the first, but it's better to be seen as a whole. Finally, I think everyone likes Martian Successor Nadesico. I seem to remember thinking the overall story arc got a bit stupid, but the individual episodes and great characters are the show's strong point.

I don't think it's out over here yet, but Godannar is hands down the most over-the-top mecha anime I've ever seen. The sexual symbolism in the first episode alone makes it a must see--it's absolutely hilarious. After the first episode it has already burnt out most of its impact, but it's still fairly entertaining.

Anyway, if you are looking for mecha anime, follow up on any of those that seem interesting (reviews should not be hard to come by) and check 'em out. These all have plenty of robot action (Vandread may be a little weak in that regard, actually..) and I think "intelligent plot" is a bit too subjective, but I'm sure you'll find something you'll like.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

Thanks G.Silver, I shall take your considerations to heart. I'll probably start with the Eva style mecha shows first though after I finish watching the inexplicable weirdness that is Lain.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Not one mention of Gunbuster? :-O

Anyway, if you're new to Gundam, or have only been exposed to lesser AU shows like Wing and G, I would recommend checking out SEED. It really does capture the elements that made past series' successful and kicks it all up a notch with a slightly more dramatic tone and wider perspective. It's a bit rocky in the beginning, but you'll be handsomely rewarded once you get into the meat of the show. If you like SEED, then check out UC. With the exception of the OVAs, I'm not sure if diving right into the older stuff right away is the best idea.

But with the exception of G and Wing (which, predictably, were the only ones that were substantially popular in the US), it's all good.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

This topic has been saturated with DORK.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

This FORUM is saturated with dork. Are you really all that surprised? Pretty much any topic will eventually inspire a long winded tl;dr post from someone here.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Is Macross Plus just the non-bastardized version of the first third of Robotech or is it one of those sequals to the original Macross story?

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Macross Plus is a complete stand-alone story which only happens to take place in the world of Robotech/Macross. It's cast of characters are unique to it and you don't need any knowledge of the older series to understand it which is a big plus in my opinion.

And it has some great music too.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Huh. I could have sworn there was some sequal that continued the adventures of Rick (or whatever his Japanese counterpart is named).

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Not sure if you mean Macross 7, but that's the only "sequel" I can think of. Apparently it's one of those things that only those in the deepest, darkest levels of nerdom can even remotely enjoy.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Pretty much any topic will eventually inspire a long winded tl;dr post from someone here.
You'll notice I bolded the show titles specifically so tl;dr people could skim through it easily. :wink:

Nova

Post by Nova »

This has nothing to do at all,., but the great and now forgotten game know as P.A.W.S (The “dogâ€￾ simulator) could be played in PC or Mac.

And what about SD Gundan? That was originaly designed as a parody of Gundan. It all startes whith a OVa made in 1989. And I think is not a coincidence that Samurai pizza cats(Made in 1990) copied some designs of SD Gundan.

CE

Post by CE »

chriscaffee wrote:Huh. I could have sworn there was some sequal that continued the adventures of Rick (or whatever his Japanese counterpart is named).
Ichiro Hikaru.

Now Roy Fokker, that was a name to laugh at. And to think they didn't even change it for the Robotech release.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Fokker was a real life aircraft manufacturer. lots of "pilot type" characters share that last name... well at least three: Roy of Macross as well as Edward and his father Pride from Power Stone.

chix0rgirl
Awesome Girl

Post by chix0rgirl »

For GG!:

Asian schoolgirls are mostly clad in granny panties, judging from what I've seen in the markets. Then again, the little printed bikini bottoms are coming into style, as well as some teeny little mesh thongs.

Happy?