Sega is fucking up

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

I always thought the idea was that Sonic's exact physical structure is what made him the Ultimate Lifeform and Gerald was able to replicate it completely by chance when he created Shadow, meaning whether or not Sonic was created by Gerald or born naturally 40 years later is completely irrelevant. But it's not like they're ever going to come out and reveal it, much less have even devised a true solution. But I think Biolizard being based on Perfect Chaos is a valid claim.

They really need to bring back the guy who scripted Sonic Battle.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Is that an official statement? Or did a bunch of fans pull that out their ass?
I always thought the idea was that Sonic's exact physical structure is what made him the Ultimate Lifeform and Gerald was able to replicate it completely by chance when he created Shadow, meaning whether or not Sonic was created by Gerald or born naturally 40 years later is completely irrelevant. But it's not like they're ever going to come out and reveal it, much less have even devised a true solution. But I think Biolizard being based on Perfect Chaos is a valid claim.

Well, very few superheroes don't have an clearly defined origin. Sonic is one such character. Explanations as to where he comes from and how he gets his powers are MANY.

A) Ressurected by God to battle evil.

B) Was a normal brown hedgehog with exceptional speed that overloaded a treadmill, causing him to turn blue and gain the ability to run at mach 1.

C) He's a magical prince.

D) Was just born with the ability to defy the laws of physics and nature.

E) Immortal science experiment created to be the Ultimate Lifeform by the grandfather of his archenemy.

I prefer "E". If the Ultimate Lifeform really is immortal, and Sonic is the second one made (with BioLizard being the first and Shadow being the third) it would explain a lot of things.

For one thing, how he can break the speed of sound. How he can rip through metal like it's swiss cheese. And how he can move so fast that he can create tornadoes.

Not to mention that it explains why Shadow and Sonic are so similar. And the irony of Sonic being Eggman's "uncle" is just too delicious to pass up.

And if he is the original product of Project Shadow, you may ask, how can he be a 15-year old if he was created 50 years ago?

Well, he'd be immortal if it were true - so he could be 50 years old and still look like a teenager. Or he might've been put into stasis as a baby and only awakened 15 years ago.

Not to mention that Super Sonic is explained by simply saying that Sonic's DNA was designed with the intention that it would react to Chaos Emeralds in the first place.

I like it because its a very comic-booky kind of origin. Nice superscientist sets out to create an immortal being with superpowers to help save his niece. First version is a lizard that goes nuts. Second version is a baby hedgehog. Niece shoots hedgehog in a pod to earth and gets killed. Scientist goes nuts and creates a EVIL immortal hedgehog. Hilarity ensues. It's like something out of a good X-men plot.

Oh well - There's one sure way to find out. The ULF is supposed to have the ability to regenerate limbs and nerves, right? So if Eggman ever slices off one of Sonic's arms and it grows back, we'll know for sure.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Or Sonic could end up with a cyber-arm, and that'd just be stupid.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Zeta wrote:Stuff
Sonic was born on Christmas Island, stupid.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Or Sonic could end up with a cyber-arm, and that'd just be stupid.

And Tails' conciousness could be put into a giant suit of armor!
Sonic was born on Christmas Island, stupid
Is that like Easter Island, but colder and slightly more commercialized?

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Baba O'Reily wrote:Or Sonic could end up with a cyber-arm, and that'd just be stupid.
I think Archie did something like that. They gave Knuckles a mechanical eye or somethin'. It <i>was</i> stupid.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

They also turned him green and killed him. Archie makes the Clone Saga look like award-winning writing.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

The best (worst) was when their Sonic Adventure adaptation was coming up and instead of just quietly changing characters' appearances to match their Adventure designs, they had to devote entire issues to bizarre and nonsensical transformations. Sonic running incredibly fast with a Super Emerald strapped to his back in order to bring Knothole out of a time-shifted space gives him longer spines, green eyes, and buckles on his shoes. Amy tampering with a Power Ring causes her to suddenly wear a red dress and a different spinestyle. Of course.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, because people just can't get their haircut. They need phenominal cosmic powers to put on a different set of clothes and restyle their 'dos.

Grant

Post by Grant »

I remember leafing through an Archie Sonic comic around the time of the Sonic Adventure adaptation, and they were trying to explain why Princess Sally wasn't colored correctly in the first couple of issues; they said she encountered some sort of chemical thing or something and it didn't wear off until later. Then, at the bottom of the page, there's an editor's note saying something like "See? We didn't just color her wrong!"

Which, of course, was false and retarded. But that was easily the worst part about the Archie series, how they felt like every stupid thing had to be explained.

God, I hate that comic.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Usually, I like that. In a comic with humans and drama.

But for a comic that started out as a joke series with talking animals? That's fucking nuts.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Zeta wrote:stuff about Sonic's origin
I hate the idea of Sonic being a creation because it is too comic booky. The same can be said for the regular brown hedgehog turning supersonic blue through a mechanical accident or regular hedgehog getting his powers directly from God.

Also, the idea of Sonic being a man-made creation just cheapens his character in my mind. I just like to think he was born natually with these unnatural talents as it makes him special and more of a true Ultimate Lifeform.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Archie Comic is so screwed up that not even a mass killing of all “SonicArchieâ€￾ characters could fix it.

And even weirder...people buys the comic!.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I agree with Ngangbius. I like comic books as much as the next guy, but I prefer the origin of Sonic where he was just born the way he is.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I don't really like that explanation, but personally I do not think we need an explanation. Up until SA2 he was just there as far as Sega is concerned. Technically he still is, but only sort of different.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think that it was cool the way that SA2 hinted that Sonic may have been created by Gerald, but didn't go any further. I like the idea of his past being a mystery, and throwing that possibility into the works just added to that. I wouldn't want it to become confirmed cannon, but it did raise a kind of intriguing "what if"?

Back when Sonic 1 and 2 were released, I had no problem with the old treadmill-turned-him-blue explanation. He still had his speed naturally... the accident just explained why he didn't actually look anything like a hedgehog. After all, all the OTHER animals looked reasonably normal... even Tails was more-or-less the right colour. But now that we have Knuckles, Amy, Fang, Big and countless other characters with more surreal designs and colouring, Sonic doesn't seem so out of place and explaining his appearance seems kind of dumb.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

But now that we have Knuckles, Amy, Fang, Big and countless other characters with more surreal designs and colouring, Sonic doesn't seem so out of place and explaining his appearance seems kind of dumb.
Knuckles is the last member of a race that was constantly exposed to Chaos radiation. Amy problably dyes her fur. Big is obviously from wonderland.

And for Fang - show me a wolf/weasel hybrid that ISN'T purple.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Segaholic2 wrote:I agree with Ngangbius. I like comic books as much as the next guy, but I prefer the origin of Sonic where he was just born the way he is.
Same here, some characters are just better off without an orgin. If they want a character to have an orgin, it would probably be best to explain it around the character's debut, not ten years later.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Not necessarly. I think it would be cool if it was kept in the dark for ten years and then explained. Assuming of course it was a character that could actually use an origin and the origin didn't totally suck ass.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Sonic was the prototype clone of Maria's dead pet hedgehog that was born again out the dreams of Elliot.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Sounds like pure Archie crap.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

That about sums it up.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Who is Elliot?

Grant

Post by Grant »

Esrever wrote:I think that it was cool the way that SA2 hinted that Sonic may have been created by Gerald, but didn't go any further. I like the idea of his past being a mystery, and throwing that possibility into the works just added to that. I wouldn't want it to become confirmed cannon, but it did raise a kind of intriguing "what if"?
This is pretty much how I feel. Sonic's origin works best when it's treated like that of the Joker's; that is, there shouldn't ever be a defined and set in stone background story. Both characters are more like forces of nature rather than actual people, and knowing their origin isn't really that important to understanding the character's concept. But I have no problem with things like we saw in SA2, where it could be a possible explanation, if you chose to view it that way.

For the record, though, I do really like SA2's explanation. Like Zeta said, the idea of having Eggman's own grandfather create his life long arch-nemesis is just too good. For me, it beats the hell out of "he was just born that way."

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Light Speed wrote:Who is Elliot?
...the kid from <i>NiGHTS: Into Dreams...</i>. You know, blue hair, likes basketball, has a crush on <strike>Reala</strike> Claris?