So I'm reading Scott Pilgrim

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
(No Imagination)

Re: So I'm reading Scott Pilgrim

Post by (No Imagination) »

A little girl dating two Andores at the same time? That's got to be illegal in Canada. Though it will probably make for an interesting boss fight, so I guess it shouldn't be...

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

So anyway, the last book was good.

And I really need a PS3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdZuAy3x5AQ

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I'm so sick of zombies.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Crazy Penguin wrote:So anyway, the last book was good.
No it wasn't. I'm a huge fan of the series and I found the last book to be absolutely terrible. It was muddled, full of inane psycho babel and worse drawn than volumes 4 and 5. It was really one of the most unsatisfying endings to a good franchise I have ever experienced. I was dumbfounded by how lazily it was all wrapped up. The primary antagonist, the one that had been built up so well for the past 5 books ended up being a completely generic baddie and kind of a ninny. I don't see how anyone could have been satisfied by this. It's up to Edgar Wright to bring closure to the series now.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Agreed. Scott sitting on a couch pouting and playing PSP was both boring and obvious filler.

And the technobabble was just stupid.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I am (in case anyone needed a reminder) also a big fan of the series, and I was pretty disappointed with the last book as well.

I loved the idea of the first half, where Scott revisits his various exes and realizes his past conflicts haven't been as black and white as he had pictured them. (And that, quite frankly, he's a bit of a dick!) But the execution felt clunky and oddly paced, and the series' charmingly naturalistic dialogue was swapped for some pretty heavy-handed, overwritten speech-making.

And then in the second half of the book we have the battle with Gideon. I actually liked that he turned out to be a bit of a wiener... who else but a ridiculously vain, petty loser would start a league of evil exes after getting dumped? But the character has the unfortunate task of delivering a lot of stupid-sounding left-field explanations for the book's various mysteries in rapid succession. The truth about the headglow felt particularly tacked on and over-explained.

I do think the book generally does everything that should have been done. All the right elements are there. But they're presented in a mad, awkward jumble, with little of the charm and finesse of the other books. I guess I just wonder if it was rushed to completion.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

It's entirely possible he was trying to beat the movie release wise.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I can certainly understand why he'd want to do that, especially since the movie would "end" the story before his book did!

But if that's the case, I'm kind of sorry the movie wound up hurting the book like that!

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Not enough Wallace in the last book. Damn funniest character in the series. I hope Kevin McAllister the Second does him justice.

I think the main problem is that it was kinda predictable. I mean, if the 6th book didn't exist at all we would all assume that it would end like that. Except for the Stephen Stills thing in the end.

To me the best part was when the guy blew up in a million coins and they all fell back hurting everyone in the crowd.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/ ... pdate-151/

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game is now up on the NA PSN for $9.99.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I didn't see the film at Comic-con (too busy working the booth... they kept the floor open 9AM to 7PM this year, auuugh) but everyone I know who saw it said Wallace completely steals the entire movie.

I am pretty excited about the game! But the 360 is the only system I own four controllers for, so I have to wait for that version. (First world problems.)

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Saw the film. The first 45 minutes or so are wonderful. Then the fight with Todd ingram starts and it all goes to hell. Ending wasn't fixed and worse, a mind control chip on ramona? Are you fucking serious? It's like they actually wanted it all to mean absolutely nothing

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

So I'm playing Scott Pilgrim

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Having never read the graphic novels, I thought the movie was really well done through and through. I didn't mind Radrappy's spoiler at all. It fit that moment in the movie well. The ending could have been a little tighter though. Something about it felt incomplete. I can't think of the last time I saw a movie that was anything like Scott Pilgrim and would highly recommend it if you're looking for something fun and awesome, but not particularly deep. (It was a lot better than The Expendables, which was about as generic as action movies come, despite the cast.)

I've been having fun with the game too (use analog if you're playing, it goes a long way). It's froze up a couple of times and there were a few other glitchy moments. I don't know how I feel about the leveling up system either. The game was pretty challenging, but instead of giving me another chance to try the same thing over again, it gets easier by giving me a new move every so often. The extra moves help bring depth to the combat, but also take away the extra challenge. Paul Robertson's work is as wonderful as you'd expect and gives the game some extra character. I should probably also mention this is the first arcade beat-em-ups I've played in years.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Yeah I had a blast with the game too! The music is extra special and memorable. Especially the final boss track. It's the first arcade beat em up I've played in years as well. Jolly good.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: So I'm playing Scott Pilgrim

Post by FlashTHD »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:I should probably also mention this is the first arcade beat-em-ups I've played in years.
Ah, just in time for a really kick-ass one that should, hopefully, be completed very soon.

Totally not hijacking this.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I saw the movie. It was pretty good, and although I won't repeat the problems of the second half, I felt they were compensated by the action scenes. In regards to my impression of the film, it probably helps that I haven't read all the graphic novels yet.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Another thing about the game I meant to mention is that it starts off very slow and progressively gets faster and more enjoyable as you gain experience (much like Secret Rings).

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Esrever wrote:everyone I know who saw it said Wallace completely steals the entire movie.
Yeah, I kinda got that feeling from the trailer.

Gah... Here in Brazil not only do I have to wait until the end of the month to play the game on XBLA, I'll have to wait until NOVEMBER to see the movie. =(

And they wonder why there is so much piracy around here...

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Actually, that would be because of taxes. That, and they probably want to get all the books released here before the movie.

Speaking of which, I got to read the first 2 volumes not too long ago (around here, they got released in a single book); it's a fun series, but I can't say I was too impressed.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

My opinion practically mirrors Radrappy's, except I think the movie falls apart when Roxanne Ritcher suddenly appeared (and out of nowhere, too). Then the ending picked it up a bit, and that was it. I still hate Michael Cera as an actor, and one of my favorite characters in the comic (Kim) is reduced to a wisecracking smart-ass with little to no back story.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Also, now that I'm reading the comic book more and more, I find the pacing in the movie to be really off. Scott and Ramona's relationship makes a lot more sense in the comic book as the comic book spans a period of two or so years, whereas the movie takes place over the course of a few days. I think it might've worked a little better as a TV series than a movie. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Also, I played the video game, and it froze on me four times as I completed it.

This was an odd post for my 777th to be about.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The weirdest thing about the movie is that it felt like Scott should end up with Knives! The whole arc of the movie, especially the last half hour, felt like it was building to a conclusion where Scott realized that Ramona was just a blind infatuation, that he'd gotten ridiculously serious about a girl he barely knew, that he didn't really love her and that it was Knives that he was really compatible with!

At first, I just thought I was totally out to lunch and figured I was just reading into things that weren't meant to be read into. But apparently, the original ending of the movie DID have Scott and Knives wind up together. They went back and reshot the last scene after they saw the script for book 6. But I feel like a lot of the lead-up to the old ending is still in the movie, which just makes the conclusion feel kind of weird.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

I just beat the game. Somehow I found it too easy. And I played it on the hardest difficulty. Maybe because I was playing on Hard the game gave me more money and XP, but it kind of felt like I upgraded all the moves too soon (like, level 4).

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

I thought the RPG-system was stupid and only hurt the game. Why not just give all the moves at the start? This is just basically an arcade game, so there is no point to set it up like this.

And how do you do the back punch? It never works for me or others I saw play it.

Also someone made me watch the movie and it was terrbie. The second half of it never even made any sense. I felt like I was watching a live action Sailor Moon film directed by 13 year olds obsessed in emulators.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Esrever wrote:The weirdest thing about the movie is that it felt like Scott should end up with Knives! The whole arc of the movie, especially the last half hour, felt like it was building to a conclusion where Scott realized that Ramona was just a blind infatuation, that he'd gotten ridiculously serious about a girl he barely knew, that he didn't really love her and that it was Knives that he was really compatible with!
I saw it going this way at first too. It made sense, but it made me cringe to think that Scott had murdered 7 people just to change his mind. And it would had left Ramona somewhat of a wondering soul with a broken past. That kind of ending probably would have to be tinkered with a bit more to work with the tone of the rest of the movie.

Ramona is still a girl he hardly knows and he's way too involved with, but that's the kind of guy Ramona seems to need. She needs someone who will overlook her past and help her start over.

Also at some point in the movie Ramona and Scott go a week without contact with one another, so maybe more time is supposed to pass than it seems. The movie just didn't do a good job of showing this.