Toy Story 3 Teaser Released-Dated for June 18th 2010

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
CM August

Re: Toy Story 3 Teaser Released-Dated for June 18th 2010

Post by CM August »

Maybe this is one of the few things he'd rather see in English. I didn't see much subbing going on while I was over there, all the TV broadcast stuff was dubbed. But what do I know.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Spoilers for Toy Story 3:

It turns out the toys were aliens and that human beings were the real toys all along.

!!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Of course Pixar movies play in theaters here, but they're usually three or four months behind the states and yeah, only dubbed - which, as you know, is against my code of ethics. (Pixar even goes as far as changing all the background signs, altering any Americanesque sight gags, and generally doing everything possible to realign the film with the region where it is being shown - an absolutely horrible policy, I think.) Plus basic (non-3D) theater tickets here run upwards of 20 bucks.

Monsters Inc I think is the most popular of the Pixar films here, or certainly the one that has the most merchandise. They're making a sequel, aren't they?

By the way, can somebody please post some thoughts on Toy Story 3 sans spoilers? It is awesome, isn't it?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I have two free tickets to see it (came with the Blu-Rays for TS1 and 2) but I have nobody to take. I'm definitely looking forward to it. Pixar can do no wrong.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Green Gibbon! wrote:(Pixar even goes as far as changing all the background signs, altering any Americanesque sight gags, and generally doing everything possible to realign the film with the region where it is being shown - an absolutely horrible policy, I think.)
What?! Really? I didn't know this! That's actually pretty impressive, setting aside any ethical concerns. I didn't think they did things like that since I saw bits of Ratatouille in French on Youtube and they didn't seem to have redone the lip sync or anything. I figured they would have done it at least for that film in that language. But I guess re-rendering for a few signs and isolated gags is different from re-rendering for all the dialogue in the whole film.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Segaholic2 wrote:I have two free tickets to see it but I have nobody to take.
;_;

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I know it's a pretty abstract concept, but you could take a girl to go see it.

Obligatory complaint: it doesn't come out here until the 23rd of July. Sad emoticon.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Pixar even goes as far as changing all the background signs, altering any Americanesque sight gags, and generally doing everything possible to realign the film with the region where it is being shown
Actually I find it pretty impressive that they go this extra mile to localize it. In a way it shows how much they care about their movie.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

It's absolutely brilliant, by the way. The ending scenes are really the most fitting note the entire series could've ended on.

Also, I really liked the toys the little girl had, and kind of hope we may get to see more of 'em - if only in quick shorts on the Disney Channel or what have you. Actually, considering one of them is a Totoro doll, I wonder how people'll react to that over in Japan - that film was popular over there, right?

I didn't see the supposed cameo by Sid, though; no idea where he was supposed to be.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Shadow Hog wrote:
I didn't see the supposed cameo by Sid, though; no idea where he was supposed to be.
He was the garbage man. The tip off was that he was wearing the same skull branded shirt from the first film. Guess he wasn't interested in higher education.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Shadow Hog wrote:Actually, considering one of them is a Totoro doll, I wonder how people'll react to that over in Japan - that film was popular over there, right?
Totoro is Japan's Winnie-the-Pooh. Their Mickey Mouse. They adore it. Random shops in Little Tokyo that sell no other toys sell Totoro dolls. It's a big deal.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I'm kind of amazed Ghibli actually allowed the character to be used, even just a cameo. They're ridiculously protective of their IP's - despite consistently being the top grossing movies in this country, merchandising is very restricted. They must have a lot of faith in Pixar (and justifiably so!).

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, I guess that explains why he barely does anything other than watch what other people are doing and occasionally smile like an idiot.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

That's pretty much what he does in the actual movie. If you've never seen it, that's something you should rectify.

Is he actually present in more than one scene?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I've seen the actual movie, although it was a few years back.

And yeah, he's in a few scenes. Ones that come to mind would be when Molly's toys introduce themselves to Woody after he gets plucked up by her when he nearly escaped Sunnyside Daycare (Totoro is, incidentally, not introduced - he's about as important to the plot as that weird purple-green snake thing from the first film, really, which is to say not at all), when Woody is on a computer using Mapquest or similar, trying to figure out how close he is to Andy's house so he can get back (he's right around the block, fortunately), and a couple of times at the end of the film, where Andy finally donates all his toys to Molly, so naturally both sets are all together for one last goodbye to the guy. He might also appear a few times in the scenes they show during the credits, I forget.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Isn't John Lasseter super best friends with Miyazaki? I saw a few animation documentaries at uni, and I vaguely remember some sort of connection between Pixar and Studio Ghibli.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The credits had a Special Thanks to Miyazaki credit in them.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Shadow Hog wrote:I've seen the actual movie, although it was a few years back.

And yeah, he's in a few scenes. Ones that come to mind would be when Molly's toys introduce themselves to Woody after he gets plucked up by her when he nearly escaped Sunnyside Daycare (Totoro is, incidentally, not introduced - he's about as important to the plot as that weird purple-green snake thing from the first film, really, which is to say not at all), when Woody is on a computer using Mapquest or similar, trying to figure out how close he is to Andy's house so he can get back (he's right around the block, fortunately), and a couple of times at the end of the film, where Andy finally donates all his toys to Molly, so naturally both sets are all together for one last goodbye to the guy. He might also appear a few times in the scenes they show during the credits, I forget.
Her name's Bonnie. Molly is Andy's sister. And ya Totoro has his own vignette in the credits juggling something (though I forget what).

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

j-man wrote:Isn't John Lasseter super best friends with Miyazaki? I saw a few animation documentaries at uni, and I vaguely remember some sort of connection between Pixar and Studio Ghibli.
Whenever I see this relationship--and admittedly, I am not sure where I have--I get the impression Lasseter is more like Miyazaki's biggest fan, and Miyazaki is bewildered to be at an American media event. It may be that bewilderment that prevents him from reciprocating, but I get the impression Lasseter wants Miyazaki more than Miyazaki wants Lasseter. It's not helped by turning on the Spirited Away DVD only to find John telling me how lucky I am that I get to see this movie, as if I would snub my nose at traditional animation without a blessing from the head of Pixar. And you also hear occasionally about how Miyazaki is this grumpy old man who lives in a media vacuum and thinks that children should only be allowed to watch his movies once a year, so I just can't help but be suspicious of their relationship.

It's like how now that Scott Kurtz is operating out of the same office as Mike and Jerry, he can't make a blog post without saying something about how he has such great friends, or he'll be making lots more video game jokes, or how he and Mike Krahulik are secretly turning into the same person. I know they're peers and I'm sure there's a lot of mutual respect, but which one gushes like a fanboy?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Radrappy wrote:Her name's Bonnie. Molly is Andy's sister.
Molly, Bonnie... they're similar enough that you can see why I'd mix 'em up.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I think it has more to do with the fact that Disney has international distribution rights to almost everything from Ghibli.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Members of Pixar were behind the Spirited Away dubbing, in particular. I don't recall their degree of involvement in other Studio Ghibli works.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

You dont know spanish? Just watch the clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0BVDyKfTlQ

Was was in that coffee? Peyote?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I liked it, but found the first two to be way better. Too many dragged out / juvenile jokes for my tastes at times. I'm kind of surprised it was rated G.

Up is still my favorite non-Toy Story 1/2 Pixar movie.